Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 30th, 2014 17:00

Video driver question

So, I got a new laptop. It's the Inspiron 15 7547.  I downloaded a game to test it out and bam a problem arose. The game was Minecraft by the way. The screen was flickering. The HUD and options, and even the whole window started flickering. It only happened with that game so I did some research and it was about some broken video driver. A lot of answers to the problem I was having was to rollback the video driver. (The driver is Intel(R) HD Graphics Family) So I did what they said, I rolled back and it gave me the windows default driver. More questions were asked and I went to dell support and looked for my product to see what video drives I can download. Here is link to the webpage 

[link]www.dell.com/.../drivers[/link]

It gave me the option to download the intel one, which I did and it gave me the same driver. When I tried AMD, it didn't work, more like I didn't know how to do it. I don't know what to do so here I ask.

Also, when I tried downloading a driver from the intel website, it said it was custom manufactured by Dell so you should download drivers from their support. 

If you need anymore information to see my problem just tell me please, I know it's just 1 game but I want the PC to work for all sorts stuff :)

2 Posts

January 22nd, 2015 16:00

Hey Sovano I just got it fixed! :D

Just go to this website: [View:www.dell.com/.../tagchange]  

Once you get there, enter your express service code(the ten digit number on the bottom of your laptop). Then enter your information and click "Enter Chat." Tell your guy to upgrade your driver to the latest version and it should work :)

I told the representative I was working with about how most people roll back the drivers to fix it but apparently the computer came with the drivers already rolled-back which is why the bad driver comes up when the you try to roll it back. So yeah just tell him to upgrade it to the newest version and it should work :)

412 Posts

December 30th, 2014 20:00

Hi Sovano1,

The graphics driver that Dell uses is customized to fit with their chipset & system software.

If your configuration wasn't built with the AMD dedicated GPU then trying to install it will fail, it should inform you that it won't work with your system.

So assuming your system uses the Intel HD 4400 graphics (the integrated GPU, that is) & rolling back the driver didn't work, we might have an issue where you might have to adjust Minecraft's in-game settings to adjust the performance. I've had really odd graphics flickering in UI in the past and usually adjusting a few settings fixes that. Resolution seems to be the trick for me as some resolutions are at a different refresh rate than my monitor, which causes that flicker.

Let us know what else you've tried to see if we can get this resolved. Hope this helps!
~Jim

5 Posts

December 31st, 2014 09:00

So, in other words, I should mess around with the minecraft resolutions and settings to see if it works? Right now the resolution default by minecraft is 854x480, I could show you a video of it in action if you want, I just tried to change it to 1280x720 and the window was flickering white. The video settings turned worst if I made adjustments by lines flickering. To be honest, I'm lost and don't know what to do really. I tried asking on the minecraft forums. I messed with minecraft video settings and installed optifine to see if it helps but it doesn't. 

412 Posts

December 31st, 2014 13:00

Hello again Sovano,

It sounds like what you were told about there being an issue with the driver is correct, so rolling back the driver might be the best option. You can try uninstalling the Intel driver and using the support page for your Dell to an older driver. There should be a link in the Drivers & Downloads page about viewing older drivers. You could try installing one of those after uninstalling your current driver.

If that doesn't work then that is going to be an issue between Intel & Minecraft. I would suggest seeing if Minecraft has any direct support. Perhaps they could escalate your case to an engineering group.

~Jim

5 Posts

December 31st, 2014 14:00

Ok, I get what you are saying, but I how I get the older drivers since when I click on details it just shows me the driver information and download instructions. If you would, can you provide a link to the legacy versions? I can't seem to find it. 

Also, I can't roll back the driver because when I do, I makes me use the Windows Default Graphics as I said in my first post. 

412 Posts

December 31st, 2014 15:00

Ah I see what you're saying, I looked back at your link. Usually when you expand the Videos section there is an "Older Versions" section but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

I was suggesting the uninstall of the current version and to reinstall an older one (which is a moot point since there are no older versions). Until the Dell version of the Intel driver is installed then yes, you would be using the Windows version of your graphics driver. Again, pointless now.

If you were to Device Manager and under the "Display Adapters" is the Intel HD Graphics Family the only option you see?

5 Posts

December 31st, 2014 16:00

Yes, it is the only option, it said:

Intel(r) HD Graphics Family

When I click update the driver, it said I can choose between Windows Default and Intel HD Graphics. Just a bit on updating there.

2 Posts

January 17th, 2015 06:00

Hello Sovano, I have the same problem and I think the same computer as well. I was wondering if you had found a way to fix it yet?

5 Posts

January 18th, 2015 18:00

I'm sorry but I don't have a solution. Thanks for bumping and also, I had a system update today. I hoped  it would miraculous ly fix my problem with no luck

No Events found!