Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 6th, 2017 19:00

Video driver question

I have a Dell M7710 running Windows 10.  The machine has an Nvidia Quadro M5000M GPU.  I use it primarily for Photoshop.  I'm trying to update my driver.  The Nvidia site shows 377.11-quadro-grid-desktop-notebook-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe as the driver recommended for Photoshop on Windows 10 64-bit.  The Dell site provides two driver downloads: Video_ISV_Driver_33M6J_WN32_21.21.13.7586_A01.EXE and nVIDIA-Quadro-K-and-M-series_Graphics-Driver_G1Mt4_WIN_22.21.13.8266_A00.EXE.  Assuming that A01 and A00 are BIOS versions, my BIOS is 1.14.4, 7/28/2017.

Any thoughts on which driver to install?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 6th, 2017 19:00

A00 and A01 are not BIOS versions.  Dell just uses that nomenclature for tracking releases of a given entity, such as a driver for a particular device.  They do ALSO use that nomenclature for BIOS releases, although that seems to be going away on newer systems in favor of typical decimal releases, e.g. 1.2.5.

In terms of which type of driver to use, ISV drivers are typically tested to a higher standard and/or tuned to work with certain applications, so for the applications they are built for, they can be faster and/or more stable.  That's obviously useful if you use those applications, and in fact some ISVs require you to use ISV drivers to get support from them, but all that extra testing and tuning means that they aren't always the most current release, and therefore for OTHER applications, you might be better served by being on the LATEST drivers rather than the latest ISV drivers.  I don't know if Photoshop is an ISV-optimized application.  I think it might only be for things like CAD, animation, modeling, etc., but the NVIDIA site might tell you.

In terms of Dell vs NVIDIA as sources, you can get regular and ISV drivers from either.  I tend to prefer NVIDIA because Dell can take a while to make updated drivers available on their site.  Theoretically Dell tests new drivers on their hardware before releasing them, but I don't know how extensive that is -- and of course at some point they stop bothering to post new drivers for old systems even if NVIDIA is still making driver updates that will work on said systems.  With Intel drivers, you often MUST get them from your PC vendor unless you want to jump through a few extra hoops to force a generic driver to install, but on the NVIDIA side, I've been using drivers direct from them on my Dell systems for years and never had a problem.  So I would say go with NVIDIA-sourced drivers unless you encounter problems, and decide between ISV and latest release based on your needs.

18 Posts

December 7th, 2017 07:00

Thanks very much for that information.  Much appreciated.

No Events found!