Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 7th, 2011 15:00

Vostro 1500 screen backlight control failing

Hi everyone,

I have found in the forum several old posts with my issue but without solution, so I'll ask

The problem is that the control for the backlight doesn't work properly sometimes, sometimes when I turn the laptop on you can barely see the Dell logo and all the boot stuff, windows loads good and all that but the contrast controls doesn't work

sometimes it comes back to life by itself, sometimes I have to switch between battery and AC.

it is not screen, inverter, windows, cabeling issue; I do believe is either motherboard or the BIOS, but I already downloaded the last BIOS update, unless it is bad, I had done it several times and doesn't work.

before you ask the warranty expired long time ago; and I want to know if I can fix it, because I can't ask freaking Dell support if I don't have a valid warranty, not even phone or email support like other companies does...

thank you for reading, cheers.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 7th, 2011 17:00

If you're certain that it's not the inverter, screen, Windows, etc., then the only solution is to replace the mainboard.  Before you do that, verify that the image is good on an external monitor -- which will likely rule out the video card as faulty.

September 8th, 2011 07:00

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Well I have hooked my laptop to my HDTV via VGA with no problems, image is crisp and clear, but I have not done it when the computer has the issue.

Is there a way to downgrade the BIOS?  I would like to try that, since I have the last release and I don't think MB manufacturer will do a new one.

Thanks again, cheers.

No Events found!