Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Message

May 23rd, 2008 11:00

Vostro 1510: Fan noise

Hello,

I have a new Vostro 1510 (T8100, GeForce 8400GS, Windows-XP). In idle (I don't touch the notebook) the fan runs every 50sec for about 20sec and is pretty noisy! Usually, I am not a picky person, but this notebook is more noisy than my 8 year old no-name notebook! I expect at least in idle a quiet notebook. Is that too much to ask?

Do other people face the same problem? What can I do?

2 Posts

June 8th, 2008 06:00

Hi,

I have the same problem with my new Vostro 1310 (T8100, GMA X3100, XP). The fan switches between 0 % and 100 % when the CPU core temperature reaches 40 degrees Celsius. The noise is completely unacceptable (I can compare with many other notebooks). Let's hope that Dell comes with a BIOS update that fixes it.

It would be easy for Dell to set the threshold to 50 or 55 degrees. And I am sure that the fan can run at variable speeds, so that the temperature control can adapt the speed (and noise) to the real needs.

Dell could also learn from the competition: the LG P300 allows the user to decide, which maximum termperature he accepts. The choice is between a quiet but sometimes warm notebook, a cool but noisy device and a third mode which is a good compromise.

1 Message

June 8th, 2008 13:00

Hi,

I was hoping that it's not a general Vostro 1310 problem.I'm experiencing exactly the same problem as described in the first post. The fan kicks on for about 20 sec and then turns off for 1 min. I was told by Dell customer support that it's just my laptop has a problem and they've never heard about such problems with Vostro 1310. 

1 Message

June 15th, 2008 08:00

Unfortunately, fan noise seems to be a general problem for the Vostro 1310 / 1510, at least for some configurations. I experience exactly the same problems with my own Vostro 1310. The problem with the fan turning on and off constantly has been described in many forums (not only this one). Some people suggested  using a tool to constantly have the fan operating at low speed. Doesn't seem an appropriate solution to me if the CPU works heavily...

Personally, I consider this fan noise inacceptable for a business notebook. Don't want the fan start howling loud during the brain storming phase of an important meeting...

DELL should admit there is a problem and provide some tools and help to at least minimize the problem.

PS: The keyboard is also not up to the expected standard in terms of noise generation

PPS: Otherwise, it's a nice product... 

2 Posts

June 16th, 2008 08:00

Here is a tool that allows you to control the fan speed - what a relief!

http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/index.html

Manual control works well for my Vostro 1310.

At low CPU loads the fan can be stopped. The temperature stays around 43 - 46 degrees Celsius.

At higher CPU loads running the fan at low speed gives enough cooling and creates a low (and permanent) noise level.

Automatic control seems to have a problem - it causes the mouse pointer to move very slow.

2 Posts

September 11th, 2008 08:00

Is there no solution to this issue other than an unsupported external tool? I bought a Vostro 1510 2 weeks ago and I hate that noise. Would appreciate if anyone could point me to an official solution by Dell.

Thanks,

Kist

September 14th, 2008 12:00

The fan noise on my brand new 1310 driving me around the twist. It's tortuous.

It's not noticeable when I'm in the office, but in a quieter environment, the noise of the fan (seemingly running at full speed) every minute or so is distracting and irritating.

Why doesn't it run more often at a more nominal speed?

Many thanks to the poster above for including a link to a third party application, but I would think this is something Dell ought to sort out via a BIOS update or something.

I have the latest BIOS, btw... 

Thanks,

Stephen  

Message Edited by Studio_two on 09-14-2008 02:08 PM

2 Posts

September 15th, 2008 16:00

Right now the fan starts at 56degrees Celcius to run at 3800 rpm (which is noticable) and stops at 50 c.

With the i8kfan tool you can manually set the fan to low setting which is 2800 rpm. This speed generates a much lower noise. But as automatic controll does not work you have to set it to low permanently

- which could be dangerous if the setting would not cool the laptop enough and

- which means fan will not turn off.

Also the program only gives back the controll to the bios after a restart.

And since I installed it on Vista my battery tray icon is gone and I did not find a way to turn it on again, did anyone else experience the same problem?

I hope Dell changes the bios so the fan runs at 2800 rpm (or even less) above 55 c and uses 3800 rpm only above 60 c or so.

http://www.hmonitor.net/ officially supports the Dell Vostro 1310 but does not allow fan control.

Starkilla

2 Posts

September 16th, 2008 12:00

I've been using the i8kfan tool without any problems regarding the battery symbol. Too bad the automatic controls don't work, that would be an acceptable solution to me. I have also tried out turning the fan off completely during work sessions. I'm reaching up to 80° though and I think this might be damaging in the long run. It is also uncomfortable when typing - too hot.

kist

btw I'm running Vista

Message Edited by kist on 09-16-2008 08:43 AM

2 Posts

September 16th, 2008 13:00

I was able to turn the battery symbol back on by right clicking on the taskbar and properties and checking the box next to Energy. I also run Vista.

(pretty stupid, I searched at all the funky places for couple of days but did not look at the obvious one)...

Btw: in the i8kfan forum there is also a thread on the 1310:

http://cdiefer.proboards29.com/index.cgi?board=i8kfan&action=display&thread=611 

September 18th, 2008 06:00

The main problem I have with the i8kfan tool is that it seems to be set on a "per user" basis -at least as far as I can determine.

Since this is a "cummunal" laptop, I will have to set this within each user profile. :smileyindifferent: 

No Events found!