Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 18th, 2017 23:00

Vostro 3546, Windows 8.1, Realtek audio, no sound

After reinstalling my windows 8.1, I have issues with my laptop audio. It shows red cross on the sound icon. Things i have done to fix it but failed: 

1. Uninstalled my Realtek audio driver. Downloaded an updated driver from Dell official forum. Installed it but failed to fix it.
2. Did a diagnostics check with set up and also with online support which in turn shows that no error found.
3. Tried to follow maximum instructions given on the Dell forum on Realtek Sound problem but failed to fix it.
4. My device configuration:
Device: Dell Vostro 3546
BIOS: A12 (the latest one) - I think there is something wrong in this only. But unable to find.
5. One more thing I want to add is that after installing Realtek audio driver, Device manager shows this error:
This device cannot start. (Code 10). The request is not supported.

Now please guide me to fix my laptop.

Thanks in advance.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 19th, 2017 07:00

Did a diagonstics check with set up and also with online support

Hello. Have you tested with the ePSA diagnostic Quick Audio Check?

If you fail to hear the test tones in the Perform Quick Audio Check then there is a hardware failure with the Realtek audio system.

BIOS: A12 (the latest one) - I think there is something wrong in this only. But unable to find. 

Did you install the A12 version before or after the audio failed? If the audio error occurred with the previous BIOS then the BIOS is not at fault.

Some BIOS versions let you downgrade to an earlier version. Some BIOS versions have a setting to enable audio (most don't).

an updated driver

Dell has only released only 2 versions for Win 8.1 for the Vostro 3546: Realtek 6.0.1.7288 and Realtek 6.0.1.7161, both from 2014. It should be one of those. However Windows contains its own native audio driver so the audio should have worked right after installing Windows, even before installing a Realtek driver.

2 Posts

October 20th, 2017 07:00

I also did the quick audio check and I can hear all tones perfectly. I am in bit mess how to fix it now. Now the error from "No input output is installed" has been changed to "No speakers or headphones are plugged in".

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 21st, 2017 05:00

The forum hasn't sent my notifications the last 2 days so didn't know you had replied yesterday.

When you installed Windows, did you do it by reverting to the original factory configuration (Factory Image Restore)? If you performed a recovery by using either the Factory Image or the recovery media you may have made when the laptop was fresh out of the box, then any hardware issues are due to hardware failure that has occurred since the laptop left the factory.

"No speakers or headphones are plugged in".

Go to the Windows Sound dialog (right click the Audio icon and select Playback devices) and right click in the devices field. Make sure that "show disabled and disconnected devices" are checked.

I looked at your model's Owner's Manual and found that the only audio-related option in the BIOS is to disable the microphone, which is enabled by default.

No Events found!