Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 19th, 2012 02:00

Vostro 3560 - Rapid Start

Hi,

I have a one day old Vostro which arrived without the SSD being configured for anything other than storage.  I used the Intel Rapid Storage software to speed up the system and that was fine.

I then discovered the AV software wouldn't work and found the whole operation to be less than impressive considering this is replacing a 3 - 4 years old Vostro.  The upshort is I decided to re-install using the disks and drivers supplied and configure the system how I want it.

The only thing that doesn't work is the Intel Rapid Start software which will not load and states THE COMPUTER DOES NOT MEET THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR INSTALLING THIS SOFTWARE.

I have checked the BIOS (Version 05) deactivated the Rapid Storage and amongst a variety of other things, returned the SSD back to its original state (as it was when it was delivered).  I have hunted the Dell and Intel sites and found a few people with the same issue but no clear guidelines of how to resolve the issue or if indeed these people did.

Like others with the same issue, the BIOS option is greyed out, however I have been back to the Dell Sales pages, done a search and this model comes up against a search of Rapid Start Technology.

1 Message

November 11th, 2012 22:00

Got the same problem here :/
I also tried different things, drivers and bios updates....

86 Posts

February 16th, 2013 19:00

I too have this issue.  I also have an unknown device listed as hardware ID "INT33A0" in the device manager.  It's the only driver package available that would not install, so I assume this has something to do with it.  I've completely disabled hardware acceleration and the driver will still not install.

86 Posts

February 18th, 2013 06:00

Hey everyone!  I was able to resolve this issue!  I am going to document it here for anyone who runs into this issue:

If you have any unknown devices listed as INT33A0, or cannot get the iRST Intel Rapid Start package to install due to it saying "does not meet minimum requirements", follow this guide from Intel:  download.intel.com/.../rapid_start_technology_user_guide.pdf  

You will basically need to create a hibernation partition that is equal to or larger than the size of your RAM and mark it as a specific ID in diskpart to get it to work correctly.  Affter following these instructions and creating a 20GB partition on my SSD for hibernation (I've upgraded to 16GB of RAM), the package was able to install just fine and the missing device went away!  Yay!!  

5 Posts

January 16th, 2015 18:00

I followed this steps http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19511993 but it doesn't appear any unknown device and I cannot see the SSD on the Disk Management.

I have a Vostro 3560 with a 32GB SSD.

Any ideas?

12 Posts

January 17th, 2015 03:00

Do you have Intel Rapid Start and mSATA enabled in BIOS?

5 Posts

January 17th, 2015 03:00

Hi BartekZ, 

Thanks for the fast reply.

I can see the Intel Rapid Start Technology under Advance on BIOS but cannot change it. 

This means I cannot use it?

12 Posts

January 17th, 2015 04:00

Hi gustavct,

article, which you posted link to, describes enabling two features, Smart Response (better responsiveness of system thanks to caching files on an SSD) and Rapid Start (faster "hibernating"). You can use both or just one of them.

Look through BIOS, there's a menu where you can disable hardware, check if mSATA is enabled (you can also check device manager if there are both HDD and SSD). If it is, then maybe you have allocated all SSD space in 3rd step after installing Windows and there's no space left for IRST partition.

You need to have mSATA drive present and enabled to activate IRST, I think. Also check Intel's docs on IRST, you may need to create special partition first.

5 Posts

January 17th, 2015 06:00

Hi BartekZ, 

I followed that guide and when I enabled Smart Response I selected 18 Gb for this feature. Since my SSD has 29Gb, it should have left some space for Smart Start. 

mSATA is enabled for Intel Smart Response. But I did not found any way to enable Smart Start.

12 Posts

February 6th, 2015 07:00

Boot up some Linux from USB and check patitions on SSD (GParted is very useful).

How much ram do you have installed?

Do you see an SSD in device manager under disk drives?

No Events found!