Highlighted
2 Bronze

RE: Dell WD15 Desktop Dock - Step-by-step driver/firmware/BIOS installation instructions for XPS, Latitude and Precision notebooks [UPDATED 04-22-16]

Hi,

I've been troubleshooting the WD15 with both the Precision M5510 and the XPS 13 (9350).    On both devices with either Windows 10 or Windows 7, we experience network disconnects, sketchy audio, USB disconnects (mouse,keyboard, camera).  I've followed all the suggestions on properly installing the driver set and have had some improvement but not anything that i would call "fixed" or having  the device function on a consistent basis.   Most of the time, unplugging/plugging power on the device will help temporarily.  

From other posts, these issues are very similar to owners of the  TB15 dock.  In my opinion there needs to be some major patch applied to these systems either from a BIOS update or major driver upgrades.  The USB-C/Thunderbolt technology is unstable at this point.  I'm open to any other suggestions on getting this device to perform as expected.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

RE: Dell WD15 Desktop Dock - Step-by-step driver/firmware/BIOS installation instructions for XPS, Latitude and Precision notebooks [UPDATED 04-22-16]

The USB-C/Thunderbolt technology here in this two docks is enormously unstable. We don't even need to be an expert to realize that the tech guys who architecture or built the TB15 or WD15 docks have done a choppy job here releasing it to the public sale without a solid prior testing...

Worst thing, is that the latest Dell Laptops XPS and others, only have an USB-C / Thunderbolt 3 port to output video to an external monitor and depend's on this docks... 😞

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

After 4 months of struggling with the XPS15 and the Dock, I managed to return both.. I'm much happier now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

I just switched out my Broadcom wifi card with the Intel 8260 wifi card.  Not one more conflict with Ethernet and wifi using the WD15 with my XPS13 9350.  

Believe the Broadcom drivers probably have issues and saw where the Intel card has better range and also helped solve this problem with the dock for another user.  For $26 it is a good investment.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I tried to turn on the airplane mode and I still had problems, do I have to completely remove the Broadcom drivers? However, I doubt that changing the wi-fi card you can fix issues such as the dock connection loss when you resume from standby mode etc.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

I connect one monitor to my Dock and also connect a smart card reader.  I don't have any issues resuming from standby.  RIght now I have a very stable experience.  A few times a week my Bluetooth keyboard and mouse would disconnect but with the Intel wifi card and Bluetooth - so far - no disconnects.

I downloaded the Intel wifi software to my desktop.  Then disconnected Ethernet cable and then turned off wifi in Windows settings.  Then went to Device manager and deleted the driver for the 1820 Dell wifi AND software and also did the same for Bluetooth (delete the driver and software).

Then shut down and replaced wifi cards.   Then rebooted, installed Intel drivers and everything worked.  If you leave the old software with the new hardware it can create conflicts. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I bought this device for work and always i have issue when i use programs for my works. I run an agenzia di comunicazione and i need to have stability when i work on complex project !

La migliore agenzia di comunicazione a Genova !

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I also tried to use a USB extension cord to keep the keyboard/mouse wireless dongle away from the dock... same issues.

Moreover, sometimes I receive this error message when I power on the laptop while it is connected to the dock (see the image):

and I have to poweroff/poweron the dock. Obviously, I own the correct 180 W model.

Could we know if these problems will be fixed or if we have to return these flawed docks? I payed € 279 for this thing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I'm using the notebook and the dockingstation for some weeks now and I have the same problems (see my last post here).

But there is a little trick for the problems (at least it works for me). It is not actually a real fix because the problems are still exisiting and Dell has to fix them real.

However, I use the dockingstation at my workplace, only. When I go home, I just take my notebook. The next day I just connect my notebook to the dockingstation BUT not immediately!

Power on the notebook first, wait till it boots complete (login screen) and then connect it to the dockingstation. I do not have any problems with this trick since some weeks. No ethernet, mouse, keyboard or external harddrive disconnects which are appearing when I boot the notebook with the dockingstation directly.

Important: I updated everything which could be updated. The dockingstation and notebook drivers. Don't forget the Thunderbold firmware update and the internal graphics of your processor! If you want to update the internal graphic of the i7 (or other processor), use the drivers of Intel. Dell is not providing the actual drivers for that. They are outdated. If you want to use the new Intel graphic drivers, you have to uninstall the old one first and reboot. Do not forget to place the hook for "Delete the driver software for this device". Otherwise, you will not be able to install the new drivers. The setup will not start to install and will show you an error message or Windows will reinstall the old drivers automatically after the reboot. 

I had to update the internal graphics because they are used all the time instead of the Nvidia graphic chip. The Nvidia graphic chip is used when there is a heavy task like a game, only (but you can configure it). Before the update I had artifacts all the time over the screen.

@manuel.c23: I had the same issue once when I booted the notebook with the dockingstation directly. You are not alone.

IMPORTANT EDIT:

Just dicovered that there is a newer update for the Thonderbold firmware than offered in the download section for the 9550 (the update posted by Dell in the first post is the old one, too)! Just check the download section for the 9250 or 9350. There is a newer update than our Version 02.11.06, A02 (04 Feb 2016) which is with the 9550 compatible (Dell is saying that in the description).

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=HCC25

Our last version: 02.11.06, A02 (04 Feb 2016). The newer compatible update: 2.12.07, A03 (24 Mar 2016).

I updated the firmware and it works. Guys, try this update! Perhaps the issues are gone. I will test this update the next days whether I still need my trick.

Best regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

@DELL-Brian B

Is there any reason why you didn't add the 2.12.07, A03 update to the XPS 9550 page?

P.S.

They just released a "ASMedia USB 3.0 Extended Host Controller Firmware Utility" version 1.11.23, A00.

0 Kudos