Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 31st, 2013 16:00

Web Camera Not Working!!!!

My webcam stopped working! When I first got the laptop the webcam was working perfectly. My laptop is the Dell Inspiron N5010. Please help!

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 31st, 2013 17:00

Hi Matthewliu1,

If the webcam is not being recognized in the Webcam central software then please follow the steps mentioned below for refreshing the drivers for webcam.

1. Open ‘Device Manager’ by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type ‘Device Manager’, and then, in the list of results, click ‘Device Manager’.
  2. When the device manager pops up, in the list please check for ‘Imaging devices’.
  3. Under ‘Imaging devices’ check if you are finding webcam.
  4. Right click on the webcam available and click on ‘Uninstall’.
  5. Check the box which says delete the software and click ‘OK’.
  6. Restart the system and check for issue resolution.

Also, I would suggest that you download the ‘Dell Webcam Central’ and install it.

Please follow the steps below to run the diagnostics for the Webcam on the system.

1.       Open the link http://dell.to/11MXNII 

2.       Select ‘Hardware’ under ‘Choose a Diagnostic Type’.

3.       Select ‘Camera’ under ‘Diagnostic Selector’.

4.       Click on ‘Run Diagnostics’ button.
5.       Let me know the results.

6 Posts

October 3rd, 2013 22:00

This is very frustrating and appears to be no straightforward resolve. I also am experiencing the same issue my webcam has been working and recently is not recognized or supported.

Firstly, 'Device manager' is not in the list of results after I type 'Device Manager' in the search box

6 Posts

"Imaging Devices" does not appear in the list.

I have anIinspiron n5010

OS - Windows 7 Home Premium

3.1K Posts

Hi sab81,

Thank you for the response. Try uninstalling USB Root hubs and see if it helps. Also, try pressing the area near webcam and see if it makes any difference.

3.1K Posts

Hi sab81,

I understand it could be frustrating. Please try the following steps.

Please check under 'Imaging Devices' in 'Device Manager' and see if the Integrated webcam gets detected. To check webcam in 'Device Manager':

Press and hold the Windows key and press 'R' key. This will open the run window -> type 'devmgmt.msc' without the parenthesis, click on 'Ok' -> this will open the Device Manager window

• Under “Imaging Devices”, you will find the 'Webcam' listed.
  • Right click and uninstall. 
  • Restart and see if it makes any difference. 

If issue persists, you may uninstall the USB root hubs from Device manager and check if it makes any difference. To uninstall USB Root Hubs:

• Expand ‘Universal Serial Bus controllers’
  • From the list, look for ‘USB Root Hub’
  • Right click, choose ‘Uninstall’, choose ‘Ok’
  • Uninstall all ‘USB Root Hub’ listed
  • Wait for all the drivers to get uninstalled
  • Restarted the computer
  • Restarting the computer will install ‘USB Root Hub’s automatically on the computer

If there is an issue with loose webcam cable, you may press the area near webcam and see if it makes any difference.

Please share the findings. Also, share the exact system model and the operating system installed on your computer.

6 Posts

October 3rd, 2013 23:00

6 Posts

October 3rd, 2013 23:00

Hi,

I'm still unsuccessful, the drivers reinstalled but the webcam still shows up as unplugged.

I've also pressed the area near the webcam....

See below sceenprint showing that i have the icon......frustrated and confused

3.1K Posts

October 4th, 2013 01:00

Hi sab81,

This seems to be issue with the webcam and may have to be replaced. Let me know if your system is under warranty.

If the warranty has expired, then you may get in touch with our Out of Warranty dept. Here is the link http://dell.to/14pwG9m (applicable for USA only). If you live in a different country, then click on the link http://dell.to/11iojrK -> choose -> Contact Us on the top left hand side. Choose the country you currently reside in to get the contact information.

17 Posts

October 4th, 2013 09:00

Matthew...I have the same problem here.  I am using Windows 7 Service Pack 1 on an Inspiron 1545.  Suddenly I have a message no supported webcam & please plug in a supported device when I access my webcam.  I went to Dell support & scanned.  That report came back no webcam found. 

My computer is only 4 years old & webcam was working fine until Oct 1, 2013 when I went to Skype with my daughter but found that video was grayed out.  I updated the software but webcam is not listed under Imaging Devices in Control Panel.

The only advice I have gotten thus far is that a new webcam must be purchased.  Out of warranty is a minium of $179 & only covers the 90 days following the new install.

As you encountered the exact same event, I cannot believe it is the webcam but another issue.

If you find any additional information, I would be interested in hearing the solution to resolving the problem.  I do not wish to invest any more money into this computer.

Best regards,

Nancy

17 Posts

Please read my previous response.  I posted a different thread as I was unable to find anyone who was encoutering the same issue.  The reply I received was the same as you have gotten: replace webcam.

Nancy

17 Posts

Me too!  Exact same series of events.  Frustrating to say the least.

3.1K Posts

October 8th, 2013 08:00

Hi Matthewliu1 / sab81 / Nancy

Hope you are doing well..!!

I wanted to check on the status of the webcam issue you've had with your computer. Was the issue resolved or does it still persist?

Please provide an update.

17 Posts

October 8th, 2013 09:00

Sorry to say that my problem has not been resolved.  I cannot find a link to post a screenshot but it is the same as the one above.  As the issue seems to have occurred with other users, I have to wonder if it was caused by some update.  A diagnostic at Dell failed to find my webcam either but it was under  Imaging Devices previously & was working fine until last month.

6 Posts

October 8th, 2013 09:00

Sadly, my issue is still unresolved.

17 Posts

October 8th, 2013 14:00

In previous posts I may not have included the following:

Inspiron 1545

Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1

All Windows 7, Dell & Webcam software are updated to the latest versions

Hope this information helps in resolving the issue encountered with sudden loss of webcam.

No Events found!