Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 31st, 2016 13:00

What are the specs for an inspiron 11 3000 touch panel?

Myself and others have been on a mission to find a stylus that works with this 2 in 1 and so far not having a lot of luck.  The squishy tip stylus I had for my phone doesn't work.  One of those somewhat new metal stylus with the little round disk on the end works great on my phone but not on the inspiron with or without a screen protector.  I had a motorola active stylus with a battery that someone suggested, it only works intermiittingly but I guess the fact that it works at all should give me some hope.  What are the specs for the touch screen on the 3135?  I have read that a heavy cover like glass can affect whether stylus work or not as well as screen protectors.  I've found a couple of stylus that claim to have adjustable power output so they should work through screen protectors and glass coverings.  Gosin universal digital pen, overdrive adjustable and navitech are all supposed to be active stylus that have two power settings.  I've asked in the faq but no one can say if it works on the inspiron and the manufacturer says they haven't tested it either.  While I hate spending 30 bucks on anything like this without knowing 100 percent that it will work, I ordered one of the navitech off amazon because I will be able to return it if I want to.  I have poured over everything I can find about this machine but nowhere does anyone give any details on the touch screen.  I know this isn't intended to be a artist drawing pad or anything but the simple ability to interact with small buttons on the screen or the occasional digital signature or simple hand drawing are the big reasons I want a small tipped stylus.  Don't get me wrong I am really enjoying this machine but I don't get why the hardware specs for the touch panel seem to be such a deep dark tech mystery.  Perhaps it's because Dell has more than one supplier...I guess that could be as good a reason as any other.  Even if we can only talk basic generalities that's probably more than what I've found thus far.  

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 1st, 2016 14:00

Your S3 screen has a digitizer.  Your notebook screen does not.

Essentially, a notebook the a digitizing screen is also called a "tablet" computer and -- for systems at or over 12" inches screen size, will sell for a minimum of about $800-900.  Anything lower in price will have a simple touchscreen - not a digitizer.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 31st, 2016 14:00

The screen is exactly that - a multi-point touch panel.  It does not have the digitizer that's required for use with an active stylus.  

This is not a matter of there being a layer over the screen - there is, but it's not why your stylus isn't working.  Basically, a stylus that works will do anything your finger can do - and no more.  

What you're looking for requires a digitizer.  If you're looking for that in a small system, you need to look at something like a Surface Pro 4 or equivalent from another manufacturer.

88 Posts

June 1st, 2016 07:00

That's all I want, just want a smaller finger than my fat ones.  I believe that the screen on my s3 is the same variety of screen so why is it that products like jot pro (the ones with the little disk) work on the phone but not on the inspiron 11?  There are folks on here that say the jot pro works on their screen so why doesn't it seem to work on mine?  I will chalk it up to a different manufacturer and guess that's why it's so hard to find specs.  The motorola stylus suggested by someone on here has a battery and works "sometimes." My suggestion is that dell be a little bit more forthcoming about the stylus issue or they will have some dissatisfied people.  

88 Posts

June 14th, 2016 10:00

Well that's the first answer that makes sense.  From reports some seem to be getting a stylus that works well for whatever reason.  I got a Navitech product off amazon (30.00) which works better than anything else but still no handwriting per se but it does a great job of activating small buttons and small text on web pages etc. which was mostly what I am after.  I tried the same pen on my dell venu 8 android, doesn't work but mysteriously it works quite well on a cheapo android chinese table I got on ebay.  Lesson is that all touch screens are not created the same apparently.  Thanks

No Events found!