Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 5th, 2017 13:00

Why is my otherwise healthy laptop's battery giving significantly below par performance? And weird anomalies in power drain!

I have the XPS 13 9360. It's a i7 kaby lake with 16 gig ram. And UHD.

I've seen numerous review sites on the web saying that the new XPS (yes, they refer to the UHD version) has about 8.5 hours battery life during a wi-fi Internet surfing test. Some sites even claim similar battery life when playing a 1080p movie on loop. They mention at the screen brightness is low, about 50%

While wi-fi surfing with Battery Saver on, and my brightness at the lowest level, ie 10%, I get a battery consumption of almost exactly 10% per half hour.

Five hours of battery life with everything set to the bare minimum, and only wi-fi surfing.

No music on, nothing. If there are any background apps running, they are few and far between, I haven't really loaded much software onto my Dell aside from drivers and Dell Support apps. I mainly use it for Office Productivity and web surfing and watching movies. 

I just need to add: the websites I've been on are only slightly media rich, i.e. maybe a GIF banner ad, but certainly not YouTube or Facebook. I guess Facebook is what you'd call a "live webpage". I do have gmail open, however. Tabs open: 10. Just about all media-low.

Surely this is ridiculously short battery life considering what most people are saying average is i.e. 8.5 - and I have checked diagnostics. According to the Dell Battery app, my battery is in excellent condition and is operating normally. The amount of battery life I'm losing out on is waaay more than half of what I am getting! 

BUT here is the strange part. I turned Battery Saver off, and upped the screen brightness to 30%. There's absolutely NO change in the rate of battery drain. Then I tried maximum brightness with Battery Saver OFF. And the drain rate was only slightly faster than the 10% brightness setting - at 12% power drain per half hour. I would have thought there'd be a significant difference

My question is: do I have a defective battery, albeit only minimally OR is this a strange software issue, I have the second latest BIOS (I'm installing the latest tonight, but it shouldn't be that, all the reviews for UHD screens with i7s 16r ram came out with older BIOS versions than I'm using now).

I mean, really, 5 hours battery life while surfing at minimum brightness and Battery Saver on. This has to be a hardware issue, right? I can't believe I'm losing out on 3.5 hours!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 5th, 2017 15:00

Open an Administrative Command and type the following commands.  Make note of where the reports are stored and copy them to the Desktop to open with IE or Edge.    If you take the time to understand what they are showing, it might help point you to some solution.

powercfg /sleepstudy

powercfg /batteryreport

3 Posts

May 8th, 2017 20:00

I have wondered this as well for my XPS 13 9360... a simple video chat today drained my battery from 90% to 30% in an hour. Some days I'm lucky to get 5 hours on a single charge. I'll let you know if I find out anything.

Watch a youtube video or do a skype chat for example and open task manager. Under the "processes" tab click the CPU column to see what is using the processor the most. Is there anything unusual? On my computer for example, sometimes the "Waves Maxx Audio" process is eating 30% of the CPU for no reason when playing video or audio.

No Events found!