Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

October 24th, 2017 03:00

Wifi connecting to my router however it does not connect to the internet

Hi,

I have a Dell XPS 13" for the last year and a half.

I changed the password for my router after which my Dell XPS is not able to connect to the internet. The laptop does connect to the router (status states - Secured, Connected) however it does not connect to the internet.

I can connect to the internet via the same router on multiple devices (ipad, iphone, android phone, macs and another Lenovo Windows machine)

I am bamboozled as to why this Dell XPS is not able to connect.

Checking the properties of the device (via the Device Manager) says the Device is working properly. The network adapter is a Dell Wireless 1820A.802.11ac.

I tried to uninstall and re-install the driver and still don't see a difference.

Appreciate any assistance.

The Dell website (for Drivers and downloads is also friendly). I can't easily check what the latest driver is. 

Searching for wireless for my Dell XPS

http://www.dell.com/support/home/au/en/audhs1/product-support/servicetag/d9pt562/drivers

returns only one result  and the installation of that is not successful either.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

October 24th, 2017 07:00

When you stated you changed the password on the Router, I thought you meant the one for the Admin of the Router.  I suppose you mean the WPA2 security password for the network..

I assume you have looked at the available networks and picked the one you use and check it properties for Public/Private and security settings?

If the wireless icon is showing a yellow triangle it may be related to DNS.  You might check the IP Settings on the above reference page to make sure you have correct IP addresses listed.

October 24th, 2017 15:00

Hi Saltgrass,

The security password was changed on the router (not the admin password).

There is no Yellow triangle icon on the wireless icon. The DNS is working as I can ping URLs (www.google.com) and get the corresponding IP address.

I tried my phone's hotspot and the Dell machine connects to it but extremely slow.

I suspect that something has gone wrong with the wifi adapter (even though Device manager states that the device is working properly).

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

October 25th, 2017 08:00

If you don't have a yellow triangle then you do have internet access.  Maybe your DNS server is internal to your network but the fact you can ping Google looks strange if you do not have internet access.

Maybe something involving your browser is involved.  Folks sometimes mention Proxy servers but I have no experience.  I do not have the Dell Wi-Fi adapter on any of my machines.

No Events found!