Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 14th, 2009 15:00

Will not run from AC adapter

Hello,

I have a dell inspiron e1505 laptop and have had it for over 2.5 years. After some time i have been noticing a lot of wear and tear on the charger itself. The part where the charger connects to the computer is where the problem is. The AC adapter would no longer charge the battery BUT would run my laptop just fine. I noticed that the plastic covering had come off a little and that some exposed wires were fraying out. As soon as I noticed this, I thought i would save a few bucks and fix the problem myself. So i spliced the wires and reconnected them. There were 3 wires (Im assuming 1 for ground, 1for the laptop, and 1 for the battery??? not sure though). After I got everything soldered I plugged it into my laptop.There was a little "pop" sound from the computer as soon as i did this. OOPS!!

I think I wired the 3 connections wrong. I didnt have a voltmeter at this time so i just guessed. So now my battery is dead, my AC adapter is bad and I have no idea if i just fried my computer. I ordered a new battery and AC adapter.

The battery works perfect and my laptop does as well except for-- the adapter doesn't run the computer or charge the battery. Im thinking I must have shorted some connection out (between the power and battery). I took apart the laptop and have no idea what to do now.

Any suggestions would be assume!

ps. i noticed that as soon as i plug in the power, the lcd screen instantly brightens up but very faint and unnoticeably. Im thinking this isnt a very big problem to fix but I just dont know the schmatics of it.

Thanks for all of the help.

-Andrew

950 Posts

April 14th, 2009 22:00

This is beyond your fixing. You need a laptop tech to test your board and see what you wrecked.

2 Posts

April 15th, 2009 09:00

What would be the cheapest way to test the board?

Is this a common thing to happen? (the fact that something shorted out on the MB)

If the board doesnt get power through the power port then how do they test the board?

Because the computer runs fine with battery I feel like the worst case scenario would be a repair of the MB--not a whole new one. Do you agree? I know the MB is very complex.

If a repair isnt possible, whats the cheapest/fastest(finals are approaching) way to get a new MB? Ebay? Local tech shop?

Is there any way to get a charger for just the battery? Or rig a powerjack to the battery port?

Thanks for the help!

-Andrew

950 Posts

April 15th, 2009 09:00

Well it sounds like the power jack on the motherboard or the components there that make the motherboard charge the battery got blown out when the wrong wiring in the plug shorted it out.

The power jack can be replaced but if it is other components then you may need new motherboard. That's why a tech who can test the compnents needs to look at it.

You can download the service manual and try to troubleshoot it yourself but the fastest would be for a tech to test it. That will at least cost probably $100. Then the repair and parts.

Also look on ebay there are techs that offer a flat fee repair of laptop motherboards and just do jack repairs too.

No Events found!