Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 6th, 2012 12:00

Win 7 on laptop

I have a Dell Inspiron 9400 E1705 purchased in 2006.

I intend to purchased a Win 7 disc.

I have the original driver and Tools, Utilities,dll recovery cd.

Can I stall it on my xp machine?

Do I need to install drivers etc from the utility cd that came with my computer or will the win 7 included the drivers?

My machine is a 32 bit so do I buy and install the 32 bit version, or the 64 bit version.

Current config xp, 32 bit, 2gig ram.

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 6th, 2012 13:00

You will likely need some drivers for 7 -- since Dell doesn't have official support, you may have to find them from the component manufacturers (Intel, Broadcom, etc.).  You cannot use the XP drivers in Windows 7, no.

You cannot upgrade XP to 7 so you will be doing a clean install - be sure you back up your data before you start, as you will lose everything on the drive.

If your system has a Core2 Duo CPU, you can use a 64-bit version of 7, but in only 2G of RAM, there's no advantage to it (in fact, it likely will run more slowly than 32-bit 7 because of the larger footprint of the 64-bit kernel).

If your system is using the hard drive it came with, is now well past its expected lifespan.  If you plan to invest the cost of a 7 license in this system and keep using it a while, it may make sense to replace the hard drive as well.  

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

September 6th, 2012 14:00

My Inspiron 6400 works great with Windows 7 and the Vista drivers work with the exception to bluetooth. The 9400 is just a bigger version of it.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

The T2500 is a 32-bit CPU -- so the 64-bit version of Windows is not an option.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

September 7th, 2012 02:00

The model came with either or so it supports both. It'll work fine so long as you have 2-4 GB of RAM installed.

Best bet is to install Windows 7 without activating it (you get a 30 day trial) see my wiki A Clean Install of Windows 7.

You can then assess the performance and either reinstall XP or get a product key depending on your systems performance.

86 Posts

September 7th, 2012 14:00

Windows 7 has VERY ROBUST driver data base so getting common laptop hardware to work isn't really an issue. You will run into problems with specialty hardware that isn't supported

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

September 8th, 2012 17:00

Use the 32 bit Windows 7 Home Premium .iso from here and make a bootable USB. Then follow my wiki A Clean Install of Windows 7.

Step 1. back up all data to an external hard drive.

Step 2. probably not necessary but might be worthwhile doing.

Step 3. is the retail .iso mentioned above.

Step 4. download Internet Explorer 9 (32 bit)Microsoft Security Essentials, Microsoft Security Essentials Latest Definition (32 bit)

Step 5. download R143625 Dell System Software, R140623 Intel Chipset, R141246 Ricoh Card Reader, R141200 Touchpad, Intel PROSET Wireless, R166699 Dell Quickset, R226750 Bluetooth (if you have it). The Video Driver you will get from Windows Update, look for optional updates. The ethernet driver will be included in Windows 7.

Step 6. not required for this system.

Step 7a optional

Step 7b required

Step 8 outlines the install process

Step 9 install files from step 4

Step 10 install files from step 5

Step 11 you will need to purchase the product key.

Step 12 perform this step

Step 13a install Malwarebytes' Antimalware or other security (optional/recommended)

Step 13b install Microsoft Office (optional)

Step 14a necessary

Step 14b not necessary on this system

Step 14c optional

Step 14d optional

Step 14e doesn't apply to this system

Step 15 doesn't apply if you have backed up the data in step 1

Step 16 not necessary

Step 17 optional

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

Any 2.5" SATA hard drive will do. You can probably try a SSD such as here these will be faster although the system can't run them at the maximum speed. The other HDDs are cheaper and offer larger storage such as here

The Vista drivers will work except for the Bluetooth (see my wiki).

I advise maxing the RAM up to 4 GB using the part here. The maximum that is officially supported but if 4 GB is installed you can use 3.25 GB.

You should set up Media Direct partitions before Windows on this system. See my wiki A Clean Install of Windows 7.

26 Posts

Where would you recommend I look for a compatible hard drive for my pc?

I have already backed up any files I want.

I misspoke, I am not doing an upgrade, but a clean install.

CPU is Intel Centrino Duo T2500.

Cheaper to buy a new compatible  hard drive and win 7 than a new computer.

dont try that,   if the drivers aint compatible with win 7,  the system isnt gonna work. ebay the old computer is a better option.    used dell computer (like 1 year old) are rly cheap now.

26 Posts

September 6th, 2012 23:00

The difference is my 9400 is xp not vista

26 Posts

September 7th, 2012 13:00

Great website. Read every word and clicked on every link, learned a lot. Thanks

A couple of quick questions.

I tried the Win 7 comp Advisor and it runs for 45 minutes and doesn't finish. I will try it again with firewall and AV disabled, hopefully will work.

I looked at my disk mgmt:

A  39 MB and says Dell Utility ( must be something Dell Branded

C Is where I will install Win7 and is 71GB

D says unformatted and is 4.67 GB this is where the Dell Restore-Ghost used to be and is now empty.

My question, just leave A and D alone when installing the clean Win 7 or should I delete them and if so how?

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

September 7th, 2012 14:00

A will be the diagnostics partition I imagine.

D is useless and won't work so get rid of it.

During the Windows 7 install you will get this screen select "Drive Options".

This will reveal the drive options. The tools are rather self-explanatory. For a new hard drive you will need to select New to make a new partition (case below).

You should get a message saying some space must be "System Reserved" and a System Reserved Partition is made, don't worry about it, it is very small.

When you have an existing Windows partition you have a few options:

• 1. To delete it and then must create a new partition or partitions if you want multiple partitions e.g. for dual boot or for other reasons; this will remove all data and factory partition. Once you have created your partitions; select the partition you wish to install Windows on and select Next. You might as well delete the Dell factory partition if going down this route as it will no longer work and hence serve no service.

• 2. To format it, leave the partition intact but remove all data and factory partition. You might as well delete the Dell factory partition if going down this route as it will no longer work and hence serve no service and instead Extend the main partition.

• 3. To install Windows on the partition but not format it (in this case all old files will be found in the Windows.old folder). Again you might as well delete the Dell factory partition if going down this route as it will no longer work and hence serve no service and instead Extend the main partition.

26 Posts

September 7th, 2012 15:00

good, I have no specialty hardware, just what came with the laptop.

OS Name	Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name NOTEBOOK
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model MP061
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1997 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A10, 8/26/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name NOTEBOOK\Greg
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.25 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 3.84 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

September 8th, 2012 06:00

Your system should run Windows 7 32 bit fine.

However since it is an x86 processor 64 bit probably won't be possible. I assume it is an Intel T2500?

Go to Start > Right click My Computer and select properties.

It will tell you your processor here

You have 2.0 GB of RAM, Windows 7 will run fine on this. If you feel like it you can get the 4 GB using the part here (3.25 GB will be usable). 

Also go to the hardware tab and select Device Manager

What is under display adaptors and network adapters?

26 Posts

September 8th, 2012 14:00

Display adapters shows Intel 945 Chipset Family

Network Adapters shows

1394 Net Adapter

Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated controller

Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

Still not sure about the install from a Win7 CD. When the install starts do I just choose to install in C drive over my current xp?

No Events found!