SooXz
1 Copper

Win XP on Inspiron 15 3542

Hello,

I am trying to install WinXP on my newly bought Inspiron 15 3542 but the setup process can't start. I get BSOD every time i try to install it. I tried implementing SATA driver from the drivers section -

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver View details
Serial-ATA_Driver_NX86M_WN_12.8.2.1000_A00.EXE | Update Package for Microsoft® Windows® (23 MB)
Serial ATA |
Release date 4/11/2014
| Last Updated 5/2/2014
| Recommended

Version 12.8.2.1000,A00

into Windows XP installation, but this doesn't help. I think this driver is for W7 or higher. I wanted to change the SATA interface from AHCI to ATA in bios but there is nothing to select, only AHCI mode is present. Can you tell me where can I find a SATA driver that will work for AHCI mode to install WinXP on this model of laptop.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
gzimzam
1 Copper

RE: Win XP on Inspiron 15 3542

ur problem is win xp! what u are doing man?

Philip_Yip
6 Indium

If you have to use Windows XP, install it as a Virtual machine using VMWare player. The hardware was released after XP reached end of life and you'll have issues installing it otherwise.

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
james0007
1 Copper

you need to do the following, I just got this working like a CHAMP!!

download a program called n-lite, your going to have to add the drivers to your windows XP files with this program.

Here is a tutorial that I followed -

http://www.win-raid.com/t22f23-Integration-of-Intels-AHCI-RAID-drivers-into-a-Windows-XP-W-k-W-k-CD....

0 Kudos
james0007
1 Copper

I have a dell 3542 by the way

0 Kudos
imrankhan.mohd
1 Copper

Hi,

i have same problem with my laptop and kindly help me out to get out from this..

darweshhamela
1 Copper

search for XP.Black.E.Santos.iso i instaled it  in this device it's has sata drivers

0 Kudos