Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 26th, 2016 16:00

Win10 1607 breaks Dell 5558, "Your PC is offline..."

Hi all,

My daughter has a Dell 5558 laptop, and since the Anniversary Update a month ago, it is stuck at the welcome screen. It asks for the most recent password or PIN, then says that's wrong and "Your PC is offline. Sign in with the last password used on this PC." Typing in the last password or PIN does not work. I've found advice saying that plugging it into the network with Ethernet would solve it, but it doesn't. I made a USB recovery stick earlier, but ... she doesn't know where it is. So is there a workaround for this? I can't even log in to run recovery. F12 only offers the HD, not the recovery system. I'd like to roll it back, but I can't get to system restore and the previous restore points, either.

Any ideas appreciated!

Randall

7 Posts

November 15th, 2016 12:00

Well, I finally got around to looking for a system image at Dell and got one. USB install finally worked. Laptop seems to be working after connecting to internet via Ethernet and updating for what seems like days. But it seems to be working. Fingers crossed.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 26th, 2016 16:00

You're going to need to find that recovery media (or alternatively download an ISO of either it from Dell or Windows 10 from Microsoft).

Once you have that ready, boot the system from it and either try a repair (when I've seen this happen, that hasn't helped) or recovery (which will).

7 Posts

October 28th, 2016 12:00

Thanks for the info! It occurs to me, though that if I manage to find the recovery stick and get it working, will that update just break it again?

7 Posts

November 13th, 2016 15:00

OK, I found the recovery CD and had no success with repair or reset (it said there was "a problem" when it tried to reset). So I exited to the command prompt and xcopied her photos and documents onto an external HD. Then I decided it was time to start over, so I tried to restore the factory image. Process starts okay, gets as far as showing the progress bars for reformatting the drive, then it goes to a screen reading "This utility will restore your system software to the state it was in when it left the factory." Etc.  So I click on Next to get things going and ... nothing. It just sits there with that screen showing. Clicking cancel or the close box do nothing. I though perhaps the CD was bad, so I used another copy that I found at the same time. Same thing. Everything stops at that screen. And I don't see any HDD activity lights on this model, so I can't tell if it's working incredibly slowly, or if it's genuinely stalled. I've left it for half an hour and come back to no change. I have to turn it off to reboot, after which it goes right back to the same problem -- win 10 boots with no wireless and it doesn't recognize PIN or password.

Is the factory restore this slow, or is the thing just hung? And either way, what's next if I can't even restore the factory image?

Thanks for any ideas!

No Events found!