Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 25th, 2013 16:00

Windows 8 OS Backup or Recovery Options

I just purchased an Inspiron 14R for my granddaughter (graduation present). I know Dell doesn't ship OS Recovery disks anymore (poor decision), but I thought I'd be able to create one from the Dell Backup and Recovery app.

However, all I see is the "System Recovery" option, which doesn't work. It fails after the first DVD. I don't have a flash drive to try that option yet. 

But I don't really want 4 DVDs of a full system backup; I just want a Windows 8 OS Recovery DVD. The manual seems to say I have one opportunity to make one, but I've never seen that option.

There must be a way to get or make a simple Windows 8 OS backup--why is this so difficult?

3.3K Posts

April 25th, 2013 19:00

Hi RChris,

Dell Backup and Recovery Application will replace DataSafe Local 2.x on consumer and vostro platforms and Dell Backup and Recovery Manager (DBRM) on commercial platforms.

The Dell Backup and Recovery Application allow us to create a copy of the factory image which allows the user to restore the system to factory settings in case of an OS crash. The factory image would contain all the Applications and Drivers that was installed on the computer when it shipped out of the factory. To create a copy of the factory image, follow these steps:

-- Click the Recovery Media tile.
-- Click Factory Backup.
-- Select either USB Flash Drive or Discs as per your requirement. Ensure to connect the USB Flash Drive or put blank media into the optical drive when prompted.
-- Click Continue.
-- Click Start, at this point when you are prompted saying that the data would be lost, click Yes.
-- The factory image gets created on the USB flash drive or disc, click OK once done.

To create the Recovery CDs, you would require 2 to 3 DVDs. Once the 1st disk is completed it would prompt you to insert the second disk.

**Note: Use Branded +R DVDs. Memorex DVDs are not supported by Dell PCs.

In case you are trying to back up on a flash drive; you would require a flash drive with 16GB of free space. The Recovery Partition is of 8GB.
Refer the following link which has steps to create recovery disks:

http://dell.to/ZEAFKu

Awaiting your response!

370 Posts

April 26th, 2013 08:00

Thanks for responding, but as I stated the Dell Backup and Recovery App would not work. But I tried it again with three (3!) different branded DVDs (which work fine on all my other computers).  As I said in my first post, the app creates the first disc and then rejects the second disk and will not continue.

I also received an update to the Dell Backup and Recovery App--however, it did not work either. Did the same thing--rejects the second disc.

I guess I'll purchase a flash drive and try that.  Really shouldn't have to do that--this is a poor excuse for a system backup application.

370 Posts

April 26th, 2013 14:00

Update:  I purchased a USB flash drive, and that finally worked to get  System Recovery media.

Suppose I wanted to replace the hard drive in this laptop with a new SSD.  Does anybody know if this "System Recover media" that the Dell app created would transfer to a new bare drive (SSD)?

3.3K Posts

April 30th, 2013 06:00

Hi RChris,

Glad to know that the issue is resolved. Yes, you can use the same USB drive to install factory image on the new hard drive.

Awaiting your response!

2 Posts

May 1st, 2013 22:00

Actually, his issue is not resolved. He still can't use DVDs to create Recovery Media and neither can I. I think it's very unfair for me to have to purchase a USB drive just to get media that should have been shipped with the computer.

I s there any way to get a copy of the media or do I have to spend more money for this as well?

370 Posts

May 2nd, 2013 08:00

You are absolutely correct. If Dell cares anything at all about customer service, they should be providing the media we paid for--not a buggy program that doesn't work.

3.3K Posts

May 3rd, 2013 02:00

Hi RChris/ cppearce,

Kindly private message the service tag of the computer so that I can take the case further. To private message the service tag click my User name and click Start conversation.

Awaiting your response!

2 Posts

May 20th, 2013 06:00

I am having backup issues as well.  I purchased an Inspiron 5323 13z and I am trying to backup the recovery partition.  I am given two options when I run the backup and restore software: USB Flash drive or Discs.  My laptop does not have a CD or DVD and I do not have a USB flash drive, so I am trying to use an external hard drive.  It is connected to the system and I can access it through windows explorer, but when I try and backup the recovery it says no drive detected.  Is there any way to use an external drive vs. a flash drive to back up the data?  I do not have access to a flash drive at this time and would like to make a backup.  Alternatively I can see the 12GB recovery partition through disk management.  Is there a way to copy it from there or in order to have a working copy do I need to use the Dell backup and recovery software?  Thanks!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 20th, 2013 06:00

You can use an external hard drive - HOWEVER, note that the process of preparing the recovery media will COMPLETELY WIPE OUT everything on the external drive.  You can't just copy the recovery partition externally because you need to have a bootable external device to use in case recovery becomes necessary.

Your best bet is to buy a flash drive and use it for the recovery - an 8G drive costs as little as $10 these days.  

370 Posts

May 20th, 2013 09:00

I think you'll need a 16GB drive--not 8G (according to Dell-Rajesh's post above).

2 Posts

May 23rd, 2013 01:00

D'oh!  That makes complete sense with it being a bootable drive.  Not sure why I didn't think of that.  Thanks for the help!

6 Posts

September 24th, 2013 09:00

Hi ,

I followed the same steps. Clicked on Factory backup and selected discs. I inserted the blank dvd and clicked start. It showed completed and done, But only 236 MB of data was backed up. I m not sure what mistake I did. You have mentioned it will take 2 to 3 DVDs. Please let me know the correct steps.

The Dell Recovery and Backup Application was not installed on the system. I downloaded it from DELL site and it is the basic version. Do I need to upgrade to premium version to take the backup of Windows 8 OS ?

2 Posts

August 17th, 2014 06:00

Hi Rajesh,

I need to take the Back Up for the Windows 8 OS. I also have the 16 GB Pen drive.

If i follow your procedure, do i lost all the Datas in the Internal Hard drive.

Kindly help me out from this  issues.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 17th, 2014 07:00

You will lose everything on the flash drive, yes.  When you recover, there is the option to preserve your data before proceeding (HOWEVER, any programs will need to be reinstalled -- your data can be saved, but NOT installed programs).

2 Posts

August 19th, 2014 03:00

Hi
i need to know what will happen to other drives like d drive & e drive.
Either it will be erased or not.

Because i dont have back up for the others datas.

Already pendrive is empty.

No Events found!