Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 29th, 2013 20:00

Windows Failed to Start Error (Inspiron M5030)

Hi,

The hard drive went bad on my Inspiron M5030. I had made system recovery DVDs (Win7) when I first got it, so I replaced the hard drive and restored the system from the DVDs to the new hard drive. All went great, and Win 7 worked perfectly until I shut the system down (restarts work fine). After a shutdown, and upon startup, I get this error:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
  2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
  3. Click "Repair your computer."
If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.
Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.
I have tried going in the bios and the system sees the new hard drive.
I also tried all the Dell diagnostics (F12), and all passed, including the hard drive. 
There is no option to "Repair" once I boot from the Recovery DVDs, only to restore the system completely, which I've done twice now with the same results. 
It seems that the lack of a recovery partition on the new hard drive might be to blame? I don't know. I'm out of options at this point.
Thanks in advance for your help!
--Rich

3 Posts

February 4th, 2013 19:00

I solved the problem. For others finding themselves in the same situation, here's how I did it:

It turns out that the recovery process was not working. Since I did not have the original Windows 7 install discs, I did some research online.

I was able to locate & download Windows 7 online, the legal download provided by Microsoft thru Digital River (just google "Windows 7 Digital River download"). This is a demo version which will need to be activated with your product ID (located on the back of your laptop, or inside the battery compartment).

Download the proper .iso image (you have to use the same one as your Product ID), and burn it to a DVD.

Reboot with the DVD in the drive.

Assuming you've backed up everything you need, delete ALL partitions on the drive (there were 3 in my case). Install Win7 to the single partition (it will setup a system partition on its own).

That's it. The key is wiping all the existing partitions. Everything should work if you start fresh with this approach.

Cheers.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

January 29th, 2013 21:00

Hello 22Frets,

Really appreciate the effort you took to troubleshoot the issue and the kind of detailed information you provided. I would suggest few steps which would help us in isolating the issue. 

1. Run the Pre-Boot System Assessment (PSA / ePSA) Diagnostics
Run the test and check if gives any error code. Note down the error code and update me with the same, would let you know the next course of action. If the test passes on all the hardware components, follow the next step.

2. Try a performing a Clean Boot. Please refer the article on How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7.

3. Check in Safe Mode.
-- Restart the computer.
-- Keep tapping F8 on the Dell Logo Screen.
-- Once the computer enters Advanced Boot Option, select Safe Mode.
-- Press Enter.
-- Check if the computer is booting into safe mode.

For more information please refer the article on 0xc000000e Boot Error.

Please try the steps and write back with results.

3 Posts

January 30th, 2013 11:00

Thanks for getting back so quickly!

1. I ran the PSA Diags initially as part of my troubleshooting, but ran them again and everything passes without any errors.

2. I am unable to clean boot because windows won't start.

3. The system goes right from the Dell startup screen to the error I posted above, so it gives no response to F8 & no opportunity to boot into Safe Mode.

I'm still at a loss. Thanks for continued assistance.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

February 2nd, 2013 08:00

Hello 22Frets,

In order to boot the computer into safe-mode, we need to start tapping the F8 key as soon as we restart the computer. It will take us to the Advanced Boot Options. Select Safe Mode and press Enter. The system boots into safe mode. Check if the computer boot into windows in safe mode. If the computer boots into safe mode, I would suggest doing a System Restore. In case system restore doesn't fix the issue try doing a Start Up Repair

Also refer the article on 0xc000000e Boot Error and try the steps mentioned which might help us in fixing the issue. 

Please try the steps and write back up to us. 

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

February 5th, 2013 03:00

Hello 22Frets,

I am glad that the issue is resolved. I appreciate all your efforts in fixing the problem. I would also like to thank you for your co-operation with us and sharing the resolution steps with us which would help other users facing the same problem. 

No Events found!