Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 5th, 2011 22:00

Windows Update Gone Horribly Wrong

Just for reference, this is a Inspiron 1525 model. Have had it for three years, and I recently had it crash and burn on me, so much so, that I had to get a new hard drive. It's not even a month old. Anyway, this afternoon, I get this notice on my desktop that there's this super important Windows update that needs to be installed. One of those installations that will take about an hour. I click on it, it seems to install no problem after several minutes, and the laptop restarts, just like it's supposed to. But then, disaster hits. It's going through all of my files or whatever they are, on a black screen with a single white line of text at the top. Then it freezes on a random number, somewhere in the 28,000 out of 97,000. Sometimes it's 9461, but always with this weird code message next to it, "!!0xc01a001d!!" and Registry/Machine/COMPONENTS/DerivedData... It won't continue. I've tried restarting it several times, in several modes, like Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Safe Mode with Networking, Last Known Good Configuration. Nothing works. I've tried using the re-installation DVD, but it won't load. I don't even know how to get it to. Safe Mode starts listing a bunch of drivers, but then it stops on one called AVGIDSEH with the Loading Windows Fioles at the top and Please wait... at the bottom. Frozen.

So my question to you, technical geeks, is what the hell is up? Why would a brand new hard drive be doing this? I NEED my laptop this weekend while I go away on vacation. I've been screwed out of over $260 from Office Depot for this new hard drive. I plan on going back there tomorrow, but first I'd like to see if anyone here can help me. It'd be greatly appreciated.

3 Posts

July 6th, 2011 21:00

Can i ask you if you have Windows Vista as your OS?

If this is the case, then i have had the exact same problem as you, but on my old HP laptop. It was to download an impotant service pack and i ended up with the same error code as you with no way of fixing it.

A friend said that he could save the data but, unfortunately, he said the laptop was dead and needed a new hard drive. Looks like i have done the right thing by ordering a new laptop from Dell seeing that you have already installed one and it still didn't work. Sorry if that isn't much consolation for you.

Basically, Microsoft is disowning Vista as the black sheep of the family and they are not upgrading it any further, prefering to bury their heads in the sand about issues such as this one.

I'm sorry that i can't help you any more with this, and i hope that someone does have a solution for you. But i have thrown my old laptop in the bin and gone with a Dell 17R to cheer me up. I suggest that you do something similar if you can.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 6th, 2011 05:00

Sounds like your system has been hit by one of the many "updates" that is really malware in disguise.

July 6th, 2011 13:00

I took it back to Office Depot today, and they also believe it's a virus. The guy who installed the hard drive a month ago is going to see what he can do. It just boggles my mind. The Windows update looked like a genuine Windows update. I know what "anti-viral software" viruses look like, and it didn't look anything like those. I just hope I get an answer one way or another by tomorrow afternoon.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

July 6th, 2011 15:00

I know what "anti-viral software" viruses look like, and it didn't look anything like those. I just hope I get an answer one way or another by tomorrow afternoon.

You clearly didn't know what you were doing when you clicked on that link.

For you protection, perhaps you should consider setting Windows security to notifiy you of updates but not install them and then use Windows' Start Menu link to Windows updates to update your PC.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 6th, 2011 16:00

Automatic Windows Updates don't come through a web browser pop-up.  That should have been a very deep red flag.

July 6th, 2011 21:00

Excuse you, ieee488. I didn't click on any link. It looked EXACTLY like a normal, authentic Windows update. It did not come from the internet, it came from the computer. Or at least it looked like it did. That's what I'm SAYING. I know better than to click something that's clearly come from the web "warning" me about viruses attacking my computer.

Same response for ejn63.

Yes kadejones, it's a Vista. That's what it was, an "important service pack". And no, that's not much consolation at all, but that's hardly your fault. It looks like I'll have to spend another few hundred dollars on a new laptop. -___- I'll look up the Dell 17R.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 7th, 2011 05:00

There is no need for a new system - if the system is infected with malware, a clean install of Windows will fix the problem.

No Events found!