jphughan
5 Rhenium

RE: Windows Update Issue - Serial IO I2C ES Controller

Jump to solution

To answer the OP's original question, I2C is the new protocol used by built-in keyboards and/or trackpads, which historically have used the legacy PS/2 protocol.  Unfortunately, Microsoft pushing incompatible drivers is not completely unknown, and with Windows 10 not giving an easy way to block driver installations (compared to earlier versions where those were always optional), it can be tricky to avoid. However, users of the PRO version of Win10 can block this by doing the following:

- Click Start and type "gpedit.msc".

- Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update.

- Select "Do not include drivers with Windows Update", set it to Enabled, and click OK.

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

@StAlex74, what model system do you have?  You might want to download all of the Chipset and (if applicable) Touchpad drivers for your system from support.dell.com, uninstall any that currently exist on your system, and then install the versions you downloaded.  Do the general chipset driver first, then I2C (might be called Serial IO), then touchpad.

0 Kudos
StAlex74
1 Copper

Jump to solution

@jphughan

Model is the same as @srudenko - Dell 11" 3147 (Win10 Home x64 which appears after upgrade from stock Win8)

I am at war about a month or so. I've try a lot of suggestions. You're mentioned too - with complettely deinstall all drivers tree from OS - and step by step installation all "fresh" drivers from dell's website - i2c driver always say - unsupported platform. In any case. In any way.

Last thing - complettely wipe the dell's unit and start from stock Win8 - but again without luck - I can't download an OS image from dell.com due to message  - unable to complete your request, You can ask in techsupport... but our model - is out of guarantee due to lifetime. So, no Windows image. No working (as should) notebook.

Now I write this letter from the latest Ubuntu, but also with caveats - acpi wakeup also do not work at all.

0 Kudos