Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 27th, 2013 04:00

X200 won't boot, won't power up correctly, screen blank, speakers click repeatedly

My X200 never successfully turns on.

When I press the power button, within about 3 seconds, the speakers (under the palm rest) start clicking.  It's very regular:  click (wait about 1/5 second) click (wait about 4/5 second) then the pattern repeats, continuously.

Meanwhile, the screen remains dark and blank.  No sign of the backlight at all.  And even if I shine a bright light on the screen, I can't see any sign of text, graphics, or anything else... the LCD is completely blank.

At first I had thought the clicking was the HD, so I even removed that.  Then when I heard the clicking again, I realized it was the speakers.  So I discovered that removing the HD does not affect the problem.

I swapped out the RAM from a known good machine... no change.

And there are no beeps...  I don't think POST is running at all.

Has anyone else had this same set of symptoms?

Thanks in advance!

• 

3.3K Posts

April 28th, 2013 08:00

Hi gminpa,

Thank you for the trouble shooting steps tried.

I suggest that you shut the system down, remove the battery and disconnect the ac adapter, press and hold the power button for 20 to 30 seconds.  Now connect only the ac adapter and wait for 30 seconds and turn on the system. This will drain any residual charge in the capacitors.

Let me know if the power light comes on and also the status of the Caps lock, Num Lock and Scroll lock keys on the keyboard. In case the power light is on and if Caps lock, Num Lock and Scroll lock keys light flash, it indicates the system completed Post. Connect an external monitor to check if there is display on the external monitor.

Revert with the results to assist you further.

7 Posts

April 28th, 2013 10:00

Hello,

Thanks for the test procedure.  My results are as follows.

Upon pressing the power button, as before, the Power LED came on and stayed on.  

Also, immediately, all three LEDs (Caps, Num, Scroll) flashed briefly, one time only, together (i.e. NOT sequentially).  Since this was immediate, I don't think there was enough time for POST to run.  These three LEDs never flashed again.

Also, as soon as I pressed the power button, the speakers started the click (200 ms) click (800 ms) ... repeat ... sequence.

An external monitor remained black, no video displayed from the X200 monitor port.  [Fn]+[F8] had no effect on the external monitor.

I then need to hold the Power button for about three seconds in order to power down the system.

--

I'm suspecting that this is a hardware problem.  I don't remember clearly the boot sequence, but I *think* that normally the backlight came on within a roughly second after pressing the power button.  (At least that is what happens on a different - good - computer, a C400).  So if the inverter board has developed a primary short circuit, perhaps as soon as power is applied (from the mother board) the short circuit causes a problem with the power buss, and then the boot sequence tries to restart.  (But note that the Power LED stays on continuously and never blinks or flickers.)

--

Please let me know if the above results help with a diagnosis.  And also, what do you think about the inverter board as a culprit?

Thanks again!

7 Posts

April 28th, 2013 11:00

UPDATE:  Sorry, I just disproved my own theory.  I disconnected the inverter board power connector at the motherboard, and also disconnected the cooling fan at the motherboard.  Powering on with these two DC loads removed, the results are exactly the same.

(Of course I immediately powered down, after the clicking began, so nothing had time to overheat.)

So we're back to the beginning and I await your next suggestions.

Thanks again for your help!

• 

3.3K Posts

April 29th, 2013 11:00

Hi gminpa,

Thank you for the detailed update. I suspect the issue is with the motherboard. You may consider replacing it.  

7 Posts

April 29th, 2013 15:00

Hi again,

I was afraid you might say that. 

Is there anything else to rule out?  What about the CMOS battery?  What would be the result if the CMOS battery voltage is low?

Are there any other daughterboards or devices that can be unplugged from the mobo, before giving up?

Thanks again.

• 

3.3K Posts

April 30th, 2013 12:00

Hi gminpa,

Since you have tried most of the steps, I suspect the issue is with the motherboard. However you may try replacing the CMOS batter y which may or may not resolve the issue.

7 Posts

May 5th, 2013 11:00

Then can you please tell me what is the correct CMOS battery for the Latitude X200?  When I search online, some people are saying a 4-cell 4.8 volt battery.  Others are saying a 5-cell 6.0 volt battery.  What's the correct number of cells?  And should it be NiCd, or NiMH?

7 Posts

May 10th, 2013 07:00

I'm asking this question for the second time, since I received no reply the first time.

Can you please tell me what is the correct CMOS battery for the Latitude X200?  When I search online, some people are saying a 4-cell 4.8 volt battery.  Others are saying a 5-cell 6.0 volt battery.  What's the correct number of cells?  And should it be NiCd, or NiMH?

Thank you for your answer.

119 Posts

May 10th, 2013 08:00

Hi gminpa,

May be the problem is caused by the flash bios ( need reprogramming) or the video card ( dry = bad connection)

119 Posts

May 10th, 2013 08:00

Concerning the CMOS battery

if it gives the right volts so it's ok and don't need to be replaced

• 

3.3K Posts

May 10th, 2013 12:00

Hi gminpa,

I am sorry for responding late. CMOS battery on this system is 6V and if you are considering replacing the battery, the part # is 2M728. You may contact sales department for assistance.  Let me know the region you belong to, to provide the contact information.

7 Posts

May 10th, 2013 19:00

Hi Sujatha,

Thanks for your reply.  I'm sorry, but I am still a bit confused.  I find several vendors selling this part number (2M728) online, many even indicate it is for my X200.  But all these vendors list it as 4.8 volts.  You said it is 6 volts.  Either several vendors are all wrong, or someone has given you incorrect information.  I apologize for the inconvenience, but can you please double-check the voltage of this part?

• 

3.3K Posts

May 13th, 2013 11:00

Hi gminpa,

I double checked and this battery as per Dell internal tools is 6 volts. I am not very sure about the other vendors specifications.

You may also check this link:

http://bit.ly/10IGQ4i

No Events found!