Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 15th, 2016 09:00

XPS 12 9Q33 - Beep Codes and Screen Resolution Issues

A few weeks ago, I developed two problems with my Dell XPS 12 that seem like they may be related, but unfortunately, I haven't been able to solve either.

1) The first issue is that sometimes when I turn on my laptop (this has been progressing to EVERY time), it emits a series of 8 short beeps.  I can then turn it back off and on, and it starts normally.  (Except for today, which took several tries.)  I found that 8 short beeps is the beep code for the LCD screen.  However, I'm not having any screen issues.  I also ran the full diagnostics from Dell support and passed everything, including all LCD tests.

2) The second issue is regarding screen resolution.  Again, not EVERY time, but sometimes after my laptop has been in sleep mode and I "wake" it, the screen has resized from its normal HD (I have it on the recommended screen setting) to a much smaller, square width, resetting all my windows with it.  I can set it back, but it's VERY annoying to keep having to do this!  I have tried a number of fixes I found online, including making register alterations and changing when the laptop sleeps, but none has helped.

I'm by no means a computer expert, but I can find my way around with guidance, and I would appreciate any help with this!!!

June 15th, 2016 22:00

Hi Btobey

Thanks for writing to us. 

8 beeps indicate either an LCD failure or the video card failure. Please update the video drivers from support.euro.dell.com, enter the system tag#, select drivers and downloads and then chose the operating system and scroll down to video and install the same.

Restart the machine and observe.

Do provide us your system tag#, email address and contact name to help you better with further troubleshooting.

Regards

1 Rookie

• 

24 Posts

June 16th, 2016 07:00

Thanks for this info.  I had tried re-installing the video card previously, but I stopped the installation since it said that it was older than my current driver; however, I went ahead and proceeded today anyway.  We'll see how it goes--I did restart, but the beep problem generally doesn't come up on restart, only when I first turn on the computer in the a.m.

I am not completely confident that this will solve my issue with both the beep codes and the resolution resizing.  As I mentioned in my original post, I ran EVERY diagnostic scan available (including the diagnostics on support.dell.com and the pre-boot diagnostics), and my laptop passed EVERY test, including those for video and LCD.  So I'd be interested in other suggestions.  My name is Beth Cholette, and my email is drbethc (at) gmail.com.  My service tag is

June 16th, 2016 20:00

Can you please try doing a system restore to a previous point when the system was working fine. if it fixes the issue then there could be some update which has caused the problem, if its still the same, we would suggest to reinstall the windows afresh. If still the same, then hardware needs to be replaced.

Hi Nice to hear from you. Sure do observe and let us know how it goes. 

Also make sure the BIOS is up to date.

1 Rookie

• 

24 Posts

Sorry, Hema, it didn't work--my screen resolution auto-resized itself yet again this evening. :(

EVERYTHING is up to date, including the BIOS.  I use the Dell Support Drivers & Downloads, and there are no more recent updates available for my machine.  Everything is updated, and the scans tell me everything is running normally--so why am I having these problems???

1 Rookie

• 

24 Posts

June 16th, 2016 21:00

Which hardware?  Seems odd that it could need to replaced when I am having no issues otherwise.  This feels more like an isolated glitch...I was hoping someone could zero in on the specific problem and what might be causing it rather than guess at solutions.

June 16th, 2016 23:00

Dear Beth,
The issues with systems, either a laptop or desktop and the troubleshooting depends on the scenario and the symptoms. The 8 short beeps are always related to video parts, either LCD or the motherboard.But as you mentioned the resolutions keeps changing, which is regulated by the video card, and inspite of updating the video drivers and BIOS the issue is still the same , we requested to do a system restore else windows installation. This will rule out software issue. post that if its still the same, we are left with only thing to suspect i.e. hardware. Unless we go in a sequential way, its difficult to pin point as to what is causing the trouble.

1 Rookie

• 

24 Posts

June 17th, 2016 07:00

The most recent version of the BIOS is from April 2015, and I did upgrade at that time.  Would it make sense to install this version AGAIN?

Also, I am running Windows 8.1--would it help at all to upgrade to Windows 10?  (I did try to do this before, but I didn't have enough hard drive space; I believe I have freed up enough space since that time.)  How could installing the newer version of Windows potentially help if it is a problem with the video card, video drivers, or other hardware?

Finally, although I understand that the 8 short beeps is indicative of a video-related issue, I still DON'T understand how then my machine could repeatedly pass all diagnostics for these areas.  What is the point of having these diagnostics if they are not accurate?

June 17th, 2016 20:00

Did the system beep 8 times during diagnostics?
The issues, symptoms , root causes are sometimes very unpredictable. We leave the choice to you if you wish to first go ahead and reinstall windows or with hardware replacement.

We have to go ahead with either of the options first.

1 Rookie

• 

24 Posts

June 18th, 2016 07:00

No, there is NO beeping during diagnostics--as mentioned above, after both the full pre-boot diagnostics and the full diagnostics available on the Dell support web site (plus the extra diagnostics for the graphics card), I get the message "all tests passed."  No errors are found whatsoever.

June 18th, 2016 21:00

Please reinstall windows afresh first (post backing up the data) post that you can go ahead with a chargeable repair. Meanwhile you can take the machine to a local Dell authorized repair center and get it checked should you wish.

June 19th, 2016 20:00

Do give us a shout should you have any  questions post trying the suggested steps.

1 Rookie

• 

24 Posts

June 19th, 2016 20:00

Not sure if you are recommending that I reinstall Windows 8.1 rather than upgrade to Windows 10?

June 19th, 2016 22:00

Please first install the windows 8 and observe the system.

June 22nd, 2016 19:00

Do give us a shout should you have any questions.

No Events found!