Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 6th, 2016 20:00

XPS 12 won't boot

With perfect timing, my wife's XPS12 stopped working the first day of a week long trip she is on...I'm not with her so I'm trying to troubleshoot via the phone.  It only boots as far as saying there are no bootable devices and giving the options to go into the BIOS, or run diagnostics.   

I have found the Dell troubleshooting link and all the diagnostics pass, with the SSD showing up ok in the diagnostics - so the next step would be to check it's physically seated ok - unfortunately I can't do that right now as I don't have the machine.  Is there anything else that could be checked in the interim? 

Figured it was worth a shot....

Thanks! 

5 Posts

June 7th, 2016 07:00

Yes - in the BIOS on the "Main" tab I see the SSD listed.  The system is running Windows 10.

On the boot tab I don't see the boot sequence listed at all. Here are all the details i see on that tab (those in parentheses are grayed out):

Add Boot Options

Windows 8 Fast Boot

Legacy Boot

UEFI Boot

Secure Boot

(Load legacy option Rom)

(Boot List Option)

Secure Boot Mode

(Restore Factory Defaults)

(Delete all Security Boot Keys)

Add Boot Option

(Delete Boot Option)

(View Boot Option Properties)

June 7th, 2016 07:00

Hi RPATTINSON,

Thank you for writing to us.

Is the SSD listed in BIOS when you boot into ?

What is the boot sequence listed in BIOS?

Please private message us the service tag of the system along with your email id.

(Note: please don't mention the service tag or email id on the public forum as it contains your personal information).

Regards,
DELL-Akshatha M
Social Media and Community Professional
#IWork4Dell

2 Posts

November 20th, 2017 12:00

I know this is an older thread, but for anyone else who ran into the problems I did, maybe it will help. I tried all of the solutions posted on other threads to no avail. Finally, I pulled the MSATA card out of the XPS 12 and mounted it in a USB-MSATA enclosure (about $12 on Amazon). I plugged the drive into another computer and it wouldn't read, showing 0 bytes and displaying a Windows error: "The parameter is incorrect". To fix this problem, open a Windows command prompt, and run "chkdsk U: /r" (where U is the drive letter assigned by Windows to the USB drive).  This resulted in a lot of errors being fixed and allowed me to copy the files from the drive. I put it back in the XPS 12 system and it booted right into Windows. A few things weren't working, but reinstalling seemed to fix the problems. Just one more thing to try when all else fails. (oh, and yes, I'm replacing the MSATA drive, just in case).

No Events found!