Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 4th, 2016 22:00

XPS 13 2015 Win10 Sound breaks after wake/restart

Dell XPS 13 9343 (2015 model) running windows 10 and fedora 23 in a dual boot setup here. I'm getting similar audio problems to many of the other posters here; there's a red X over the audio icon in the taskbar with a mouseover text reading "No audio output device is installed." Needless to say, the audio doesn't work. 

I've factory reset my machine to try to narrow down the source of this problem and what I've found is rather mystifying indeed; while many of the other posters here seemed to have defective motherboards I can almost say that this is a *software* issue of some kind, yet is somehow influenced by having Linux present on the machine and interfacing with the audio hardware.

Here's the timeline.

1. Factory reset the computer and boot Windows. Audio works fine.

2. Install Fedora Linux 23 alongside the Windows partition and update kernel to latest version. After two cold boots, the audio in linux works. I can now suspend/hibernate/shut down/restart linux and the audio will always work. If I boot into Windows, and then boot back into linux, I need two cold boots before audio will work again. This is a well documented bug and expected behavior for me. This is not the problem I'm writing about.

3. If I start Windows immediately after using linux, the audio works fine. HOWEVER, if I sleep/restart/cold boot windows again, the audio stops working. The analogous behavior is not present in Linux.

It seems that Fedora Linux can handle the audio between power cycles just fine, why does Windows have this trouble? It's especially frustrating because I primarily use the Windows partition for music production and audio editing of all things..

Edit:

Here's what Device manager says about the realtek driver (had to click show hidden devices to see it): 

Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer.

3 Posts

January 26th, 2016 04:00

I also have this same issue (dual-boot Win10 with Ubunto 15.10).

Any progress on a solution?

2 Posts

January 27th, 2016 07:00

I downgraded my linux system to Fedora 22 and for a while I no longer had this issue. Then Windows automatically updated to a new build version and the problem was back. Rolling back windows to the previous build sort of fixed it, now every so often (it's harder to predict when it will happen) the audio will stop working in the headphones and the speaker quality will be absymal. I'm pretty sure after some reading it has to do with the realtek chip trying to activate some fancy power saving mode when it detects your computer is asleep, and then not reinitializing properly, but now I'm back in school and don't have time really to deal with it further

1 Message

February 2nd, 2016 06:00

Exact same thing! Linux Ubuntu 15.10 and Windows 10 in dual-boot seem to cause problem. Tought, it was my BIOS version, so I updated it, but I still have the same exact problem. Hope someone finds a solution quickly.!!

3 Posts

February 3rd, 2016 02:00

I'd also like to add that the Dell diagnostics for the sound are completely ineffective in addressing (much less resolving!) this problem. The application that runs expects a sound device to be plugged in in order to do the diagnostics. However, part of the problem is that the computer doesn't recognize a sound card being plugged in at all, so no good.

Also, Windows troubleshooting is equally ineffective.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 4th, 2016 04:00

I'd also like to add that the Dell diagnostics for the sound are completely ineffective

Hello. Dell has several different diagnostic tools. Most of them typically need the Windows operating system to work, plus the manufacturer's or Windows audio driver, so if any of those prerequisites are flawed then the diagnostic results will also be flawed.

The only audio test I know of that is independent of an operating system & its drivers is the ePSA test on the motherboard. PSA stands for pre-boot assessment, meaning the tests run before the operating system boots up. My thinking is that if the ePSA audio test cannot find a sound card then it must be an intermittent hardware failure.

The main drawback of the ePSA audio test is that it doesn't do much other than shoot some tones through the audio system. It used to be that all Dell laptops came with a full suite of pre-boot audio tests on a separate partition on the hard drive (Dell 32-bit Diagnostics). The problem with that was that as soon as the hard drive was wiped or replaced the tests were gone. So now the tests are in the BIOS chip but the audio section has been simplified to almost uselessness. The only really good audio test left is to perform a system recovery, which normally will parse out a hardware issue form a software one, but if the laptop arrived from the factory already having the issue then even the system recovery test is useless.

1 Message

February 29th, 2016 04:00

I'm experiencing the exact same thing! XPS13 - 9343, dual booting Ubuntu 15.10 and Windows 10 and microphone is wonky. Stopped working altogether a  few days ago. Tried disabling, enabling in BIOS, updated BIOS to A07, using the native Windows driver and on boot, login screen produces all kinds of feedback. Installed driver from Dell support site and still no microphone.

Really irritating from a $1,000 laptop

UPDATE: I went in to the BIOS, disabled audio, rebooted, confirmed there were no audio devices present in the Device Manager, rebooted, reconfirmed no audio devices present, rebooted, enabled in BIOS, booted into Windows 10, devices were present and using the native Windows driver - microphone was enabled and seemingly fine but did not work. Installed Dell driver (Realtek) from June 2015 (not the most current), rebooted as part of install process, and microphone as well as other audio functions now work. Rebooted and Realtek driver wanted to install again, cancelled and microphone still works.

No Events found!