Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 14th, 2015 17:00

XPS 13 2015 keyboard illumination problem

My xps 13 (9343) the backlight button doesn't turn on the backlight. When I press Windows Key + X and bring up Mobility Center there is no backlight option. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

May 13th, 2015 10:00

I got my laptop back awhile ago the keyboard i/o board was replaced so now the computer works like it should.

Also, on this new model of xps they switched controls. The media keys are the primary keys. To activate the F keys (1-6,8-12) the Fn key must be depressed.

Kadin

17 Posts

May 13th, 2015 10:00

Terry

How is it that everyone of you so called Dell experts continue to make errors when it comes to model numbers.

I own this same machine.

Fn + F6 on the xps13 is "Play next track/chapter"

Fn + F10 are the keys one needs to press in order  to toggle the keyboard back light.

For your future reference Terry:

XPS13 F Keys
Fn+F1 Mute Audio
Fn+F2 Decrease Volume
Fn+F3 Increase Volume
Fn+F4 Play previous track/chapter
Fn+F5 Play/Pause
Fn+F6 Play next track/chapter
Fn+F7 nada
Fn+F8 Switch to external Display
Fn+F9 Open search charm
Fn+F10 Toggle keyboard backlight
Fn+F11 Decrease Brightness
Fn+F12 Increase Brightness
Fn+esc Toggle Fn Key Lock
Fn+PrtScr Turn Off/On Wireless

I hope this helps the persons having problems.

March 14th, 2015 22:00

every other key input works the only one which doesn't is the illumination key. I think I may be missing a program.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

March 19th, 2015 11:00

Try holding the FN and F6 together and see if that will toggle on the keyboard backlight and see if that does the trick.

You can also check the BIOS, on a EUFI Windows 8.1 system Like the XPS 13 9343 you can enter the BIOS from Windows, Open PC settings, and choose Update and Recovery,  the click recovery,  and choose Advanced Options, choose UEFI Firmware settings and choose restart.

Once in the BIOS look under Settings, open System Configuration and click Keyboard Illumination. You will have three settings, Off, Dim, and Bright.  Try either Dim or Bright and click Apply.

Please let me know if this helps.

TB

March 19th, 2015 15:00

I tried switching the brightness in the bios it didnt change anything. In fact it was already on Bright. Also there is no option for the keyboard in the windows mobility center window.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

March 19th, 2015 16:00

If FN + F6, Windows Mobility or the BIOS didn't help you may need to have the keyboard swapped out.  I am curious did the backlight ever work and if so when did it stop working?

If you are in the US I may be able to help if a service is needed.  I will shoot you a friend request to get your information and then investigate possible options.

TB

March 20th, 2015 14:00

The backlight did not work on arrival. I was hoping it would be an easy fix, i guess it wont be so easy.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

March 23rd, 2015 15:00

From what you have posted here it sounds like you have done all of the troubleshooting. If changing the option in the BIOS didn't help, and if there is no option in Windows Mobility and FN + F6 isn't working, I am not aware of any other switches.

TB

2 Posts

May 13th, 2015 06:00

Any updates on this issue ?

I have exactly the same problem with an XPS 13 (2015), and waiting for Dell to call back.

Thanks !

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

May 13th, 2015 12:00

securtekman,

Thank you for the correction. F10 should enable / disable the backlight for the keyboard.

CPTNCAVEMAN,

I am glad to hear that got the system up and running correctly.  In the BIOS is there an option under POST behavior for FN Lock Options?  If so there should be options to select Lock Mode Standard and Lock Mode Secondary.  Selecting one or the other will toggle the F12 keys between acting as media keys and as the F keys.

TB

2 Posts

May 14th, 2015 01:00

Kadin,

Thanks for your update, I am glad this can be fixed, although I would prefer it to be a software glitch, obviously.

Still waiting for Dell Greece to call back. :emotion-6:

30 Posts

July 5th, 2015 05:00

Hi

Wondering about backlighting.

It does not stay on at all on my XPS 13 early 2015 model. F10 or Fn+F10 have no impact. Pressing any key leaves it on momentarily but no way for it to stay on.

On your machine will backlighting stay on?

thanks

Paul

30 Posts

August 3rd, 2015 16:00

Having heard nothing further called Dell support. Technician updated everything but to no avail so I guess my almost new laptop is going back to depot for servicing. That will take a couple of weeks which is frustrating but unavoidable. While I wait for the box to arrive in the mail please let me know if there is a newer solution. BIOS now A05, Windows 10.

30 Posts

September 24th, 2015 01:00

My XPS 13 went out for servicing. It came back and still has keyboard illumination issue.

Pressing F10 by itself is just like pressing any other key, backlight comes on for few seconds.

Pressing function plus f10 does not turn on the backlight.

1 Message

October 8th, 2015 14:00

Thank you for this. So helpful. Searched everywhere  and found the f10 + fn trick here. God bless you.

No Events found!