Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 9th, 2015 15:00

XPS 13 (9343 - Early 2015) - Windows 7 - Touchpad two-finger scrolling issues

Just got my new XPS 13 (9343 - Early 2015) , and the Windows 7 (64-bit) drivers don't work well at all when it comes to two-finger scrolling. Scrolling in Windows Explorer is very slow, and changing the scrolling speed setting doesn't do anything.

I've played around with this quite a lot and can't get it to work properly seems like a driver issue.

Can someone from Dell please try to replicate the issue and get the driver guys to look at this?

A thread around this can be found here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/xps-13-2015-windows-7-support.770004

Cheers

6 Posts

May 21st, 2015 19:00

OK so I've spent quite a bit of time troubleshooting this issue and I have finally come up with a solution to my problem for Windows 7. This does not apply to Win 8 users, but it could provide some useful info nonetheless.

My findings

I found out that the intermittent behaviour of very slow scrolling in some apps were due to which input device is being used when launching the apps. For example, if I launch Firefox using the trackpad, I would get very slow two-finger (and mouse-wheel) scrolling. If however, Firefox is launched using my external mouse (Logitech M557), mouse-wheel (and two-finger) scrolling behaves normally.

The second thing I noticed is that some apps use scrolling based on lines (as configured in your windows/Logitech scrolling options), and some based on pixels. The problem with the touchpad drivers Dell have released for Win 7 (version 18.1.34 - A00), is that the pixel based scrolling (aka smooth scrolling) is way too slow. I tested changing the two-finger scroll speed in the Dell touchpad properties and this does change the pixel scrolling speed, however since the speed is so slow, the difference can be hard to notice.

The solution(s)

I tried fixing the slow scroll speed issue by changing registry values, but I didn't have any luck with this.

The solution in the end was to download a third-party tool called TwoFingerScroll v1.0.9

The tool allows you to set various options for two finger scroll and with this tool two-finger scrolling is working great. It is super smooth when using the "smooth" setting. Using this tool as opposed to Dell's two-finger impementation doesn't cause apps to scroll differently based on which input device was used to start the app.

I still had one more issue I wanted to sort out. This was the slightly too slow pointer speed even though the max speed was chosen in the Dell options, and middle setting was chosen in Windows options.

Note: In order to achieve accurate pointer operation at slow speeds (moving pointer with pixel precision) you need to have the Windows options pointer speed set to the middle setting.

I ended up changing the registry to increase the Dell pointer speed beyond what is possible in the app. The registry key in question is:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTP\TouchPadPS2TM3038\PointerMotionSpeed

The Dell software allows you to set this between 64 and 1024 decimal (40 and 400 hex). I ended up changing this to 1536 decimal (600 hex). This gives me the pointer speed I want. Once you change the setting you need to apply the settings somehow. This can be done by running the following command:

"C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynReflash.exe" /R

Note that any changes made using the Dell touchpad software after this, will override the custom speed setting.

For ease of use, I created a batch file and a .reg file so that I can easily re-set my custom speed after making changes using the Dell software. These can be found here. You will need to modify the .reg file and set your own custom mouse pointer speed.

Instructions

Below are instructions from in the order to install/setup everything. Some of these settings are my personal preference as indicated (in italic).

1. 1. Set Windows built-in mouse properties
    1. Pointer speed - middle setting (required to get accurate pixel precision cursor movement)
    2. Untick "Enhance pointer precision"
  2. Install latest "Dell Touchpad" drivers from Dell
  3. Configure Dell touchpad settings
    1.     Set pointer speed to max (personal preference)
    2.     Set touch pressure to min(personal preference)
    3.     Disable palm rejection
    4.     Disable two-finger tap
    5.     Disable all gestures
  4. Change Dell mouse pointer speed
    1. Run SetDellTouchpadSpeed.cmd
  5. Run TwoFingerScroll
    1. Set to "Start with Windows"
    2. Set "Palm Detection Aggressiveness" to min (personal preference)
    3. Untick "Horizontal Scrolling" (personal preference)
    4. Untick "Keep scrolling on edges" (setting doesn't do anything)
    5. Set "Scroll mode" to "Smooth" (personal preference)
    6. Set scroll speed to max (personal preference)
    7. Set acceleration to very close to min (personal preference)
    8. Set two-finger tapping to right-click (all others to "Disabled") (personal preference)
    9. Disable all three-finger gestures (personal preference)
  6. Optional if you have a Logitech mouse - Install SetPoint and change settings as you want

Don't make any changes to the Dell Touchpad settings after this, or you will need to repeat steps 4-5

Hope this helps someone out there!

1 Message

February 17th, 2015 11:00

I am also experiencing the same issue with the touch-pad on the XPS 13 (2015 edition) with Windows 7 64bit. I only experienced brief success after installing Windows 7 with UEFI mode activated in the bios and after installing the Windows 7 x64 drivers for this laptop on the dell support site. The touchpad functions including 2 finger scrolling, zooming, and tap to click initially worked after installing the driver however these functions stopped working a short time later. When I tried to re-enable the functions within the touchpad control panel settings I could reselect these options but the settings wouldn't stick. After selecting "save" and closing the control panel and then reopen the control panel I found my selected settings had not been saved!  This is very aggravating and clearly a driver issue!

Dell/Synaptics - Please fix this ASAP! this is a major usability flaw and has been noted on other forums:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/dell-xps-13-2015-broadwell-infinity-display-owners-thread.769261/page-17

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/xps-13-one-of-the-worst-touchpads-ever.770504/

28 Posts

February 21st, 2015 09:00

I agree Dell FIX THESE ISSUES!

single tapping on the touchpad works about 10% of the time.  i am continually tapping to select something.  Extremely annoying and a productivity loser.

Also on other laptops if I two finger tap on a link it would automatically open a new tab in Firefox.  This touch pad doesn't do it.

March 3rd, 2015 19:00

I agree. The laptop is gorgeous and everything, minus the trackpad, works flawlessly. It's frustrating to spend so much money on such a well made piece of equipment and to not have something work properly. For me, the lag is so frustrating when doing hours of scrolling that im tempted to throw the thing against a wall! Or plug in a mouse.... Two finger scrolling seems to lag and clicks work most of the time but sometimes a click does not register... Updated all drivers and still have an issue. Please look into it

Update: Pinch to zoom is also terrible

6 Posts

March 6th, 2015 00:00

Ok, so yesterday I installed the latest BIOS update (A01), and disabled "Intel Engine Management Interface" in the device manager.

Since then my touchpad has behaved well. Not sure if this is a temporary thing or if one of these things has fixed the scrolling issues I've been experiencing. I'll need to do some more testing to be sure.

Will get back soon

9 Posts

March 6th, 2015 04:00

Mine has started acting up again as well. Two finger scrolling: sometimes my fingers will just scroll across the touchpad without any reaction from the computer.

Also, every now and again, the pointer will jump all the way across the screen in a random direction. How can a notebook with a mid-range to high-end price tag NOT have a touch pad that just works?

C'mon touchpads have been in the refinement  process and working for over 20 years!!!!

9 Posts

March 6th, 2015 13:00

I've found a solution, although a temporary one on Windows 8.1. Downgrade to the Synaptics 16.0.3.0 driver and disable the HID-Complaint mouse, under device manager.

My early 2015 shipped using generic MS Windows drivers for PS2. After installing the 16.0.3.0 Synaptic's drivers, the PS2 device will read, Synaptics PS/2 Port Compatible Device.

Keep in mind, this doesn't enable anything but basic functionality, at least not in Win8.1. BUT I've been using my XPS 13 for an hour now with smooth scrolling, no wonky gibbering cursor etc.. Put simply: nothing fancy, but it works good enough so I can work; rather than trying to fix a brand new laptop I just bought.

28 Posts

March 6th, 2015 14:00

Check out this review,  hxxp://www.ultrabookreview.com/6151-dell-xps-13-2015-9343-review/

scroll down to keyboard 7 Trackpad.  They say the same thing about scrolling.  We need synaptic's drivers for this as you stated.

Come on Dell get Synaptic's to write the correct drivers for this device!  How can you release this without them??

1 Rookie

• 

62 Posts

March 13th, 2015 08:00

*** EDIT*** - I spoke too soon! Bios update A01 fixed all of the touchpad issues I was seeing. Thank you! Ignore everything written below...

-----------------------

Same issues here. W7, new 2015 XPS 13. Touchpad is awful. Slow to react, drivers definitely don't seem to work. Changing settings on the touchpad properties pane do not stick - well some do, some don't. No matter how I set "Tapping" tap to click is still on. I cannot stand tap to click... Sometimes the right click button works as a left click button. But only sometimes. Two finger scrolling does not work at all no matter how I set it.

I will try disabling the Intel AMT as mentioned in here and see if that helps. Thanks for this thread...  DELL PLEASE FIX THIS. It makes a really sweet little machine into a bear that I can't stand to use.

6 Posts

April 14th, 2015 23:00

Ok, so there is a new firmware out for the XPS 13's touchpad now. However it's only available for Windows 8.1. When running under Windows 7 64bit, it will crash.

After much stuffing around (trying to extract firmware image etc.) I ended up getting a Windows to Go version of Windows 8.1 installed on an external USB drive (see http://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/) and managed to upgrade the firmware in Win 8.1.

I have not noticed much difference since, but the main issue I'm experiencing, intermittent super-slow two-finger scrolling in Firefox etc., has not been fixed. This problem also affects my bluetooth mouse scrolling (Logitech M557). This to me would suggest the slow-scrolling issue is not bound by firmware, but to some sort of driver issue/interference.

If anyone running Win7 has managed to solve this problem somehow, please let me know.

9 Posts

April 15th, 2015 02:00

My touchpad is working great with the newest firmware update as well the A03 BIOS update in Windows 8.1. It is still functioning the same in Linux, however.

Although its not 100% perfect in 8.1 still, it does work good enough to be sold now. And is no worse than the average Windows touchpad (still not up to a Mac, but Apple's touchpad's are patented using an iPhone's touch display with Gorilla Glass)

It's hard to complain using either Linux -or- Win7. I know Linux is not officially supported by Dell. Nor did I see anything on the product claiming Windows 7 compliance, testing, or any compatibility.

There is really no reason to be using Win7 instead of Win 8 -or- Win 8.1. For $5 you can get a third party start menu that is EXACTLY like the Win7 Start Menu. And Win8 /8.1 has been optimized, using far less resources. And no clunky Aero interface that needs a somewhat beefy DX10 graphics chip (remember, this XPS has a discrete graphics chip even though it is a better one) . And 99.999999% of Win7 apps are win 8/8.1 compliant except the sidebar apps. 

1 Message

May 5th, 2015 12:00

I flash the firmware on windows 8.1 and installed back windows 7. Toucpad still unstable. It is shame on you DELL, i don't believe this mess happens on a prime action *** DELL notebook.

1 Rookie

• 

62 Posts

May 5th, 2015 13:00

Just to be clear on this - to make the touchpad work right, I had to update the BIOS, then reinstall the latest chipset and touchpad drivers in that order. It didn't start working right for me until I had reinstalled the touchpad drivers.

6 Posts

May 5th, 2015 23:00

Just to be clear on this - to make the touchpad work right, I had to update the BIOS, then reinstall the latest chipset and touchpad drivers in that order. It didn't start working right for me until I had reinstalled the touchpad drivers.

Tried this but it didn't fix my issue with intermittent slow two-finer scrolling

1 Rookie

• 

62 Posts

May 22nd, 2015 07:00

WOW. Great research, and I'm glad you figured out what was going on. That sure sounds like it can be resolved in a driver update. I hope somebody from Dell or Synaptics reads this!!!!

No Events found!