Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 14th, 2015 14:00

XPS-13 (9343) video comment

I have been using my new XPS13 for a few days (i3 version) and the graphics seem unusually choppy compared to my approx 10 years old Precision 390 desktop. Are new laptop graphics really not up to the performance of my old desktop graphics card (FireGL V3400, I believe) - or am I missing something? I really don't think the video speed is noticeably better than my old Asus netbook....

Is this a Windows thing? A graphics card thing?

Precision 390 running XP with 4GB RAM

XPS-13 running Win 8.1

Generally I am happy with the new computer (it is a beautiful thing)  - but am I asking too much to be able to watch Youtube?  I can live with some slowness.... but videos are almost unwatchable. I have had more crashes today in Firefox than in my entire previous life.

Steve

3 Posts

April 17th, 2015 07:00

I did solve the problem. The problem (for me at least) was the computer is throttled to about 0.6 GHz speed from the factory instead of running at 2.2 (I have an i3). If you do some searching there's a thread on this forum that talks about this issue.

This seems not to be intentional from Dell, since they released a bios update that solves the problem.

Your solution (if this is indeed the problem) is either:

1. To update your Bios to A03 (search on Dell.com for this) - which fixes this problem. The A03 update updated my computer with the A01 and A02 as well..

....Or....

2. To fix it manually is easy. Go Power Options | Advanced for the power scheme you are using and then scroll down the list to  "Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Settings". Open it and then open "Config TDP Level" and you will see 2 options (at least on the i3 without the Bios update)... one for 0.6GHz and one for 2.2 GHz. If the 0,6 GHz option is selected change to the 2.2 option - and your problem is solved! This is what works for an i3 model... I cannot speak for i5s or i7s.

I hope this helps...

Steve

371 Posts

March 15th, 2015 07:00

are your power setting set to - high performance ?

9 Posts

March 16th, 2015 22:00

I'm not familiar with your video old video card or CPU. However, the HD5500 should be able to play back video with everything being ideal.

Check to make sure you're using the best codec. If you're steaming it could be the CPU or even WiFi bogging it down. I'd look at the WiFi network first. It could  be that it's detecting better video capabilities on your new laptop and giving you 1080p video instead of old low-res.

I had to segment my WiFi into two networks to meet the demand of about three computers, a few mobile devices and a few media streaming devices on the same WiFi link. With too many people using 802.11 channels, it was just too demanding. 

Also, make sure you have the latest version of Flash, updated all your codecs, and your web browser is current if its trying to render HTML5 video.

In short, your dell XPS 13 should be able to play youtube video. Also, you might want to try selecting a lower quality version of the video. I think your bottle-neck might be somewhere besides the hardware playing the video. The only sure way is to benchmark the performance though. 

3 Posts

March 18th, 2015 04:00

Video is set for max. performance.

I have the latest Flash and I have this problem when directly connected to the internet. The codecs are whatever came with the computer, and via updates.

It really is not so much that the video playback is bad (since it's fine if I play downloaded videos), but if (for example) I go to Youtube and play standard quality videos, the playback becomes choppy, and slower to start, as I select subsequent videos. I have had the browser crash a few times (particularly when going to full screen playback).

371 Posts

March 18th, 2015 06:00

sounds like its ur internet speed which is the problem. 

1 Message

April 16th, 2015 20:00

Hello,

I have the same computer, the new XPS13 and I have the same problem. Whenever I go on youtube, the video playback is choppy. There are some weird pauses for a few fraction of a seconds multiple time in the video.

I've update the video and audio drivers to the latest version available on the support section of Dell website without any success.

I'm still looking for a solution and I'll be looking in the next few days for it as well.

No Events found!