Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

September 12th, 2017 12:00

XPS 13 9350 Touchpad freezing

This happens almost every day, and has done so for the 18 months I've had the laptop.

The only way to fix it is to reboot the laptop, I'm so used to turning it off and back on using the keyboard i could probably do it blindfolded, it's ridiculous.

The advice from Dell the last time was to reinstall the operating system, but this issue has survived two complete laptop replacements and at least a couple of reinstalls on this hardware. I'm on the latest software/drivers/bios and operating system (Win10).

Is there a fix for the touchpad freezing on this laptop?

I've found a few posts about this but none have a resolution, and I don't have two days to waste wiping the hard drive and reinstalling all my software and reconfiguring all my settings, just to prove to Dell support that it won't fix the issue.

• 

16.7K Posts

September 14th, 2017 12:00

andycas,

Below are some things to try and resolve the issue with the touchpad if you cannot format and reinstall Windows right now.

1. Navigate to Settings, Devices and Mouse & touchpad.
2. Select Additional mouse options in the right pane.
3. Select the Pointer Options tab in the new window.
4. Uncheck ‘Enhance pointer precision’.
5. Slow the Select a pointer speed down incrementally until you find a setting you like.

Change the touchpad drivers on the Dell XPS 13
Dell recommends keeping the Windows default drivers as they are the correct ones for the touchpad. However, if you like you can try the information below. Some users have said that changing the drivers has completely fixed the issues they were having with the touchpad.

1. Right click the Windows Start button and select Device Manager.
2. Right click and disable both HID-compliant touch pad and I2C HID Device.
3. Download a new Synaptics driver from their website.
4. Right click PS/2 Mouse in Device Manager and select Update Driver Software.
5. Select manual update and Browse my PC.
6. Point the installer to the new Synaptics driver and install it. Ignore the Windows message saying incompatible driver if it appears. It is compatible.

16 Posts

October 30th, 2017 20:00

Hi Jesse,

Just an update I couldn't get the driver to install... So I phoned Dell support, showed them your post, they took control of the laptop for a couple of hours, tried installing the new drivers, (I must admit I stopped watching after the first hour and they seemed to be having the same trouble as I did) in they end they told me they had fixed it!

Half an hour later the Touchpad froze again! I checked the drivers and they seemed to be the Windows default ones so I don't think they changed anything.

I've gone through the (absolutely soul-crushingly, convoluted and painful) process of data securing and password stripping the laptop and sending it in for repair, It took more than a full day of work to prepare! And I had to find another laptop to use in the meantime.

It's apparently coming back in the next day or two, so I'll let you know what they did and if it's fixed. I've read a lot about this issue and it sounds like the motherboard should have been replaced.

If it's not fixed it has certainly opened my eyes to how truly awful the Dell support experience can be for consumers. :(

No Events found!