Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 16th, 2017 15:00

XPS 13 9365 (2017) SD cart slot issues

First, the SD card slot was not installed at all out of the box. 

I downloaded the drivers from the support page, and at least the SDXC card is now visible.

However, simple operations such as creating a new folder, copying a small file to the SD card take many minutes and the entire system becomes extremely slow. Then, it appears the operations are NOT actually performed (the new folder is not really on the card, the copied file is not really there...). Sometimes there is a bizarre error (The file volume has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid) while trying to copy to the SD card.

All in all I was unable, so far, to use any SD card inserted in that slot...

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

April 16th, 2017 16:00

I am using a 200 GB SDXC card formatted as exFAT.  The card does have to lock in the port by pushing in until it catches.  To get it out, you have to push and release so it pops out a little.

I am running the latest bios which is .10 I believe.  When I first got the system, Disk Management would not open with the card plugged in but now it seems normal.

In Device Manager the reader shows under Memory technology devices as the Realtek PCIE CardReader

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

April 16th, 2017 16:00

Oh, and do not use the safe eject option since that ejects the reader and not just the card.

If you have done a safe eject you may be able to reset the USB hub or remove the device and reinstall.  The device may be shown under hidden devices in Device Manager and you can uninstall it from there.

21 Posts

April 16th, 2017 18:00

My experience with those built-in SD card readers is hit and miss and tends to be card-specific.  If you continue to have trouble I would highly recommend one of these, so far it has worked with every kind of SD card I've thrown at it.

www.amazon.com/.../

No Events found!