Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 28th, 2015 14:00

[XPS 13] AC Adapter not recognized -> Battery not charging

My research has shown that this is a somewhat common problem. All of the sudden the battery stopped charging and the official dell AC Adapter, that shipped with the laptop, is listed as Unknown in the BIOS. I understand this happens because somewhere on the way the info from the pin that (for no good reason) identifies the AC adapter does not reach the charging circuit. This is supposed to be a safety mechanism (that no other manufacturer uses) that is obviously just an attack on off-brand chargers .The laptop is working fine (except for charging) as long as the AC adapter is connected.

What I did so far:

1. notice I'm out of warranty 
  2. try different power outlets
  3. try different AC adapter
  4. Check battery health (it's fine)
  5. replace Power Jack
  6. Voodoo

It's still not working and I'm out of ideas.

Please don't tell me I have to throw away a 1300$ laptop because they designed this stupid point of failure into the charging circuit.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 28th, 2015 15:00

If you've already replaced all these parts to no effect, the only thing left is a bad mainboard.

January 31st, 2015 19:00

"Bad motherboard" : I find that hard to believe - our company has 6 of these and they all did the same thing- stopped recognizing the charger, hence, stopped recharging the batteries.  I noticed that all the connecters are quite loose.  On our other Dell laptops that use the larger charger connector, we barely get any unrecognized charger errors.  Something else is rotten in Denmark and I don't think it is the motherboard.

1 Message

February 10th, 2015 13:00

I had same issues, and am living in Germany.. the thought of spending an hour with Dell help desk scares the begeebees out of me...

I also tried 1-6, added #7OuiJa board help

NO Luck!!!

Ms Rae

March 26th, 2015 08:00

OK guys, I don't know if you've found a solution to your problem.

I had the same on an XPS13 L322X.

Plugged in, not charging.

Started to change the plug for the adapter in the computer, then tried another adapter.

Then bought a new battery and ready it could be the motherboard so bought a new and upgraded motherboard.

Didn't work. not much had to be changed so I tought... maybe a short circuit because the chassis is a conductor.

I removed the screw for the adaptor plug and now it works.

EDIT: the screw is not responsible for the problem but if the socket moves a bit, it touches the chassis and short circuit happens. A simple piece of insulator around the socket should do the trick.

Let me know if this helped you!

1 Message

November 5th, 2015 20:00

Hi!

I'm currently facing the same problem with my XPS 13 2015. Tried updating the driver but problem still exists. Plugged in at 91% but its not charging. 

May i clarify what screw for the adaptor plug are you referring to?

Thanks in advance!

November 6th, 2015 06:00

Joshuaho - If you remove the bottom cover of the laptop, you will see a screw that holds the charger receptacle to the main chassis.  This is the screw that can come loose.

2 Posts

December 31st, 2017 04:00

SOLUTION for Dell XPS 13: I had the same messages AC adapter unknown(in BIOS), connected and not charging. Laptop was working OK. The small pin inside the adapter plug was touching another metal part inside plug. Just fixed that and all is working.

No Events found!