Highlighted
2 Bronze

XPS 13 & TB16 - USB and peripherals randomly losing connection

XPS 13 9350 (i7 6560U, WQXGA+). TB16 240W. External monitor Dell P2415Q 4k, connected with full DP.

Notebook connected with TB16 with Thunderbolt 3. All external device (some USB, audio, ethernet, monitor, mouse-keyboard) connected through TB16. Works fine, but not for long.
Randomly ALL peripherals connected become inaccessible, except external monitor that is stay working. Fixed only after reboot.

All drivers installed, except USB ASMedia eXtensible Host Controller driver - any attempts to use dell drivers failed, it works only with standard windows driver. BIOS and thunderbolt firmware updated.
Turn on airplane mode does not help, as well as changes over Bluetooth power state.

34 Replies
Highlighted

RE: XPS 13 & TB16 - USB and peripherals randomly losing connection

Hi,

Welcome to our community.

We’re listening. We’ll try assist you. We definitely understand your concern without a fully functional system. The issues that you are currently facing might be due the devices turning off automatically to save power. Kindly follow the below mentioned steps and check if the issue re-occurs.

>> Type Device manager in the Search box and then click Device Manager from the returned list
>> Click to expand USB Root Hub and click the Power Management tab
>> Uncheck the option to “allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” and click OK
>> Close the Device Manager

Also, share the following information via private message, so that we can check for more details. To send a private message, click on my name and select ‘Send private message’.

1. Service tag/ express service code
2. Email address
3. Registered owner’s name of the system.

The Service Tag is a 7-character code, and the Express Service Tag is a 10-digit code that is a numeric version of the Service Tag. Both codes are on the bottom of your laptop. You can also refer to this link http://dell.to/2olcgfG which is a video that shows steps to find the service tag.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've got exactly the same issue, as described in this thread. Have you managed to resolve yours and can advise on the successful trick?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hello, Mikolajek. I`ve resolved my issue after full windows reinstall. That`s works fine, but not for long. Yet, two month later, i`ve updated this OS with June`s update, and then have another problem with waking up after sleep. 

I think, with this dock you cannot do something different, except connecting USB drives. >.<

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

..And finally, after XPS 13 BIOS update i think, dock station definitively broken. No USB, no video, audio, only charge.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, the BIOS update was the moment my own TB16 refused to operate. However, I downgraded BIOS back to 1.3.5 (even though not advised) and it didn't help. Looks like the 1.3.7 has some magic power of killing the docks... 😞

At the moment I'm trying to open a support ticket with Dell, but they can't identify my dock on basis of the service tag. This is becoming a nightmare!

Highlighted
2 Bronze

HI, I have the same problem after update the bios to 1.3.7 with my XPS 9360.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

HI,

I have the same problem after bios update 1.3.7 with me XPS 9360.

Highlighted
Not applicable

I have the same issue after installing bios 1.3.7 with my xps 9360

Highlighted
Not applicable

Same issues with 1.3.7 on xps 9360. Dock was working fine before the BIOS update.

Can't even use the mouse / keyboard when connected through the dock.

0 Kudos