Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 22nd, 2017 18:00

XPS 13 display has ghosted images / washed out and almost unreadable

My XPS13 non touch FHD infinity display suddenly stopped working a week ago. It is pale and washed out - particularly hard to see images - text OK if brightness turned right up.

When it first starts up - at the Dell splash screen, the whole taskbar/ system tray is ghosted on the screen and remains that way when on.

If I attach an external monitor all is fine - useless as a laptop though unless I sit in a darkened room and then only for text.

It is 8 months out of warranty so pretty poor after 20 months for something that gets such rave reviews.

Anyone else experiences this? Or have any ideas on what to do please?

• 

16.7K Posts

July 27th, 2017 11:00

clairevd,

You will need to have the lcd replaced. Contact support at 1-800-624-9896.

4 Posts

August 6th, 2017 21:00

Thanks Jesse L - I rang Dell - although at an Australian number and had excellent service both on the phone and via email and I now have a beautiful new LCD screen with spectacular colours - as it was before! Thanks for your help

• 

16.7K Posts

July 24th, 2017 09:00

clairevd,

Run the diagnostics on the system to see if it comes back with anything failing.

Launching ePSA
•As soon as you sell the DELL logo, tap until you see the one-time boot menu.
•Select Diagnostics.

Testing Devices using ePSA
•The ePSA starts running the quick test without waiting for user input.
•To select a specific device to test, users can tap the Esc key.

A NOTE indicates important information that helps you make better use of your computer. NOTE:
The Touchpad/Mouse will be non–functional when the test is in progress. This is as per design.

4 Posts

July 24th, 2017 19:00

Thanks Jesse L, I appreciate your answer, but I have tried this numerous times and the Diagnostics says that everything passes! So I consider the test very limited and a bit of a joke! Regardless of whether I answer Yes or No at the point where it is testing the colour bars it passes - when it clearly is NOT working and is barely visible!

The laptop is at the point where I basically need to purchase a new laptop but when doing my research on the "best" ultrabooks I keep getting more rave reviews about this model. I am clearly unimpressed with it so obviously won't be buying another. I don't even want to simply replace the LCD screen as I am assuming/thinking that when I plug in the Thunderbolt/ USB C to DVI adapter to check if all is OK when using a monitor that I am bypassing the onboard video so I don't actually know if the problem lies in the motherboard or LCD screen.

I am wondering if anyone else has struck this problem and if so what they had to do to fix it - or did they simply discard the expensive laptop! Or use it as a desktop - which in my case is totally impractical - I bought it as a light and fast laptop to be used as a laptop only.

I clearly should have bought 3 years warranty for the unit - but one would not expect such a catastrophic failure in such a short time.

• 

16.7K Posts

July 25th, 2017 10:00

clairevd,

Depending on the specific xps13 Model you have, you possibly could take the lcd apart and check the cable. Which xps model do you have? Once I look it up I can then tell you if it is possible. Sometimes that happens with LCD panels. It also isn't very hard to do take the panel off to check.  

4 Posts

July 26th, 2017 16:00

XPS 13 9350. I do not have the touch screen

I have the service manual. A few days ago I did unscrew the base cover and remove the battery. That was as far as I went - basically just checking to see there wasn't something really obvious inside the case. I did notice that there were a number or screws missing (that according to the manual should have been there!) and that the outer plastic coating on the antenna cable from the wireless card had been crimped between the base cover and base on assembly which didn't make me feel very happy but neither of these have prevented it from working obviously! :-)

I couldn't see what I could do next to diagnose my issue so very carefully reassembled all again - this time assuring the wireless cable was not going to be crimped again!

My manual doesn't tell me how to take the LCD display apart - just how to remove it from the base - so which cable are you referring to please? I am more than happy to get in there again if there is any possibility I can solve and fix my problem.

I have just run all the advanced troubleshooting tests again and note that I now have the test numbers ghosted in my task bar as well!

Thanks for your reply

Claire

No Events found!