part 234089
1 Copper

RE: XPS 13 screen flickers when waking up after Windows 10 upgrade

Jump to solution

I tried installing the driver update suggested by Dell-Ravi BC at 8:31am on Aug 15. It has worked so far.

0 Kudos
part 234089
1 Copper

Jump to solution

After 10 minutes of usage or so, I can report that the new driver did not solve the problem. It does not flash upon returnning from sleep when the laptop is closed, but if the laptop scfreen shuts off due to non-usage, it will flash after receovering from that.

0 Kudos
FlashG1975
1 Copper

Jump to solution

+1 having the same issue here since updating to Windows 10. I am running the latest driver from Intel website 10.18.15.4256

Going to try the BIOS option suggested earlier "disable C state under performance"

0 Kudos
Ian Zarzuela
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hey at last, it worked! Disabling C-State in BIOS appears to resolved the issue!

After searching, reading, watching YouTube videos about this issue since upgrading to Windows 10 for more than 2 weeks, the BIOS work-around seems to solved the flickering problem!

Normally it's easier to reproduce the flickering.  just close the lid, wait for about a minute, then re-open the lid, and the flicker will start right away.  Although on my Dell XPS 13 (Microsoft Signature Edition - Windows 10), the flickering will stop after about 15 seconds upon logging in.  I also saw a video that the flickering is not OS related, as one Dell XPS flickers even on boot up selection or even in BIOS.  I'm not sure about this though, but might be true as I already tried various Dell and even generic Microsoft video drivers. I'm on the latest Intel HD Graphics 5500 version 10.18.15.4256 driver, and on max 3200 resolution.

So after disabling the C-State in BIOS, I have not encountered a flickering anymore.  Tested closing/opening the lid, pressing the power button to sleep, shutting down & restarting, manually sleeping, etc. ... no more flicker!

Researched on C-State and found something about power optimization on Dell 11G servers.  Refer to "crtech.tips/performance-mode-bios/" and talks about disabling it on the server to resolve a slowing server.  So maybe it's doing the same for XPS as "the system can get stuck in a low power state and cannot properly adjust when heavy load is applied to the system. This could cause the entire system to halt, slow down to unusable speed, and report CPU IERR errors."

This could be a firmware issue. I will keep an eye on Dell firmware releases. Will report back if the issue pops up again.

0 Kudos
bwbatchler
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks for the clarification, BOYDERAMA.  I found a solution to my issue and posted it elsewhere (en.community.dell.com/.../20809105), since it seems to be something else.

0 Kudos
gbdillon
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks,

Followed your suggestions and it seems to be working. I understand that there are different C-State Levels, each one lowering the power consumption of CPU. Recovery time coming out of sleep mode to 100 percent CPU recovery could be what we are experiencing with the Flickering?

0 Kudos
YankeeFan159
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I am having the same exact problem and it started after upgrading to Windows 10.  With 8.1 this thing was solid as a rock, now with 10 I am afraid to close it.  The only thing that "fixes" it is a restart and not closing the lid.   *** Dell? 

0 Kudos
Boyderama
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thanks everyone for suggestions.  Disabling C-State does stop the screen flickering / resizing rapidly.  Dell need to correct this fault otherwise having C-State disabled will greatly reduce battery life.

Fingers crossed 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
notri26
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I don't see that option anywhere in my BIOS.  I'm running A08.  What version are you on?

0 Kudos
FlashG1975
1 Copper

Jump to solution

This is affecting the XPS 13 (2015) edition which I believe the most recent BIOS is A5.

I have also turned off C-State in the BIOS and can confirm that the flickering has stopped. We need a proper fix for this now.