Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 13th, 2016 15:00

XPS 14 (L421x) Qualcom Killer wireless misery....

Had to do a reformat and Win7 64 bit reinstall.  Everything fine but the wireless.  Seems like when I first got this there issues with the Qualcomm Killer wireless.  From my specific downloads page for my system I downloaded the 2 network drivers:

Qualcomm Killer 1202 WiFi + Bluetooth Driver

View details     File Name: Network_Driver_HXG7Y_WN_1.0.35.1064_A02.EXE

Realtek RTL8111F Ethernet Controller Driver

View details  File Name: Network_Driver_26MJ5_WN_7.049.0927.2011_A01.EXE
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/servicetag/31T6TZ1/drivers
Here is what I got:
  1. With both drivers successfully installed I have the 4 network items in device manager with no yellow exclamation marks: Bluetooth (PAN), Bluetooth (RFCOMM), Atheros Quallcom Wifi 1202, and Realtek Lan.

2. Wireless networks appear, none will connect.

3. Plug in LAN cable and the wireless icon in system tray never switches over the the LAN icon.  Lan seems disabled.  Also shows LAN red x in Netowrk Sharing.

4. Using the Fn+Wifi turns off Bluetooth, removes both BT from Device manager, but doesnt affect wifi.

Way messed up drivers....  all thoughts welcome.

2K Posts

October 14th, 2016 18:00

Hi ROATTW,

Does the ethernet only work fine without the wireless installed?

Does the internet work fine in safe mode with networking?

Uninstall the wireless drivers - if possible update the BIOS - restart the system and check if only the ethernet works fine. If yes, then proceed with installing the wireless drivers from the archived list - http://dell.to/2dD3JPy- hopefully one of them will work.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

217 Posts

October 19th, 2016 14:00

Sorry for the late reply.  Thanks for the response.  Bios  was updated with reinstall.  When I get the laptop back will try Safe Mode, but suspect no difference.  Currently running

killer wireless n 1202

2/18/16

Relatex PCIe GBE

9/27/11

Main symptom now is when I plug in a LAN cable, the system tray icon now switches from the wireless icon to the LAN icon, but it keeps telling me the wireless message "Additional information is needed before you can connect to X".  Click that and it wants wireless login info even though Im back on LAN.

2K Posts

October 19th, 2016 16:00

Hi ROATTW,

Thank you for the update.

What copy of OS have you installed? Rather, where have you procured the OS media from? And how did you install the OS? Was it an upgrade install or a custom install?

Try the drivers as advised from the archived site and check.

I, however, feel that the issue is an OS conflict. Suspect a corrupt install.

Check for the issue built in admin account - http://bit.ly/IL7qlV

Keep us updated.

217 Posts

October 20th, 2016 11:00

Institutional copy of Windows 7 Enterprise.  Custom install from blank disk.  Not likely OS install.  Have been installing this OS and media on many computers and laptops the same way for years.  Im going to take an image of the current system and then will try the archived drivers.

2K Posts

October 22nd, 2016 18:00

Hi ROATTW,

Thank you for the update.

Have you tried the drivers from the site as advised?

Have you managed to resolve the issue? 

No Events found!