Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 13th, 2013 02:00

XPS 15 9530 - Noise problem?

Hi all,

I just got my new XPS 15, amazing laptop but there's 1 big problem,

A high-pitched scratching/screeching noise is produced from the power button area ONLY when the power is plugged in and the battery is fully charged.

I've seen other forums and others have exactly the same problem, Any ideas?

I found this example http://z.mk/e6vq , the power is plugged into the laptop at 6 seconds.

Thanks

9 Posts

May 5th, 2014 04:00

I think it is 30 days, I doubt they will fix it in a week as this has gone on for months. I have to phone them back again to see if they are going to send a further new build as my replacement still has issues. it still has noise but not as bad as the original. the trackpad now has a new smooth as glass finish over the textured one so that is a win.

The screen build quality is a joke, why are these not assembled in a clean room!

it had dust trapped under it AGAIN!

I would like to hear from those who get the refreshed CPU's to see if that does fix the coil noise.

Actually I'm in France and we're only entitled to 7 days to test the machine.

4 Posts

May 5th, 2014 06:00

Yeah, I'll contact Dell soon and require new device, as i already had so many things changed... and because of being dismantled round and round, it's beginning to be a little squezy.

Already replaced:
Motherboard (twice, as the new one was more loud than the first one, technician swapped it back the other day)
IO board (defective USB)
Display (twice, original one had bright spots, second was dead on arrival and now i need third as the new one has dirt under the glass)
Keyboard (key got loose)

So no more replacing parts, I want whole laptop nad preferably not whining one...

39 Posts

I see the new XPS with 4712 CPU are already on sale ( http://www.dell.com/au/business/p/xps-15-9530/pd ) so i wonder if someone could get their hands on one of these if the issue is resolved?

I sent them an email this morning to change mine, i am from belgium, and i recently bought my Dell XPS 15 9530 with intel i7 4702HQ. The NOISY MACHINE I hope they will change mine with the one with new processor 4712HQ otherwise, and hope if they do that this new processor do not make noise like this one. If i have to go on TV or sue them i will do it. THEY HAVE TO CHANGE MY LAPTOP

39 Posts

[quote user="Danzonova"]

If Dell does one day resolve the whine issue, i might buy it back again. But as is, with all the months that have passed, all the false promises Dell, it's techs and thread & social relation employees have done so far to all of you, I do not believe they will do anything to solve this issue. From what i gather they don't care enough to do something about it except humour it.

I believed Dell was a great and very high standard IT company, but maybe I was fooled all these years by their advertising and people's blindness.

Can't agree more. 
All those 'We're looking into this problem', 'Our engineers are looking into the problem', 'We'll get back to you as soon as possible' turn out to be bull****.
Dell is just trying to create false hope and make us stop fighting for our right. At the same time, they can still sell the laptop to trick in new customers. Most of the customers won't realize this defect and for those who realize this, they'll either reply with 'We're investigating and a solution is on the way' or, in the worst case, provide a refund.
It's like boiling a frog in warm water. When customers find out that the 'solution' is never going to come, it's already too late.
[/quote] What if we go to law for them ? I can not accept that.

4 Posts

I see the new XPS with 4712 CPU are already on sale ( http://www.dell.com/au/business/p/xps-15-9530/pd ) so i wonder if someone could get their hands on one of these if the issue is resolved?

30 Posts

If Dell does one day resolve the whine issue, i might buy it back again. But as is, with all the months that have passed, all the false promises Dell, it's techs and thread & social relation employees have done so far to all of you, I do not believe they will do anything to solve this issue. From what i gather they don't care enough to do something about it except humour it.

I believed Dell was a great and very high standard IT company, but maybe I was fooled all these years by their advertising and people's blindness.

Can't agree more. 
All those 'We're looking into this problem', 'Our engineers are looking into the problem', 'We'll get back to you as soon as possible' turn out to be< ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU>.
Dell is just trying to create false hope and make us stop fighting for our right. At the same time, they can still sell the laptop to trick in new customers. Most of the customers won't realize this defect and for those who realize this, they'll either reply with 'We're investigating and a solution is on the way' or, in the worst case, provide a refund.
It's like boiling a frog in warm water. When customers find out that the 'solution' is never going to come, it's already too late.

7 Posts

May 5th, 2014 07:00

Today I had a visit by a Dell support guy to exchange my display, which has a full row green hot pixels in vertical (full brightness in green 1px line about 1/3 from the left side).

Actually here in Germany these people are nt from Dell but sub-contractor companies)

They send the guy out with a wrong panel! :(

He was frustrated as me of curse. Tomorrow another technician is coming. hopefully with a the right and fully functional panel.

Regarding the coils whine again:

- as reported before by me the person at the official dell hotline knew the problem of the coil whine. (And was saying that Dell would be in fight with intel about this (can we believe this statement and hope for a call-back and exchange of thousands of laptops??!? - no)) (see the much moe active forums http://forum.notebookreview.com)

- the technician from today did not knew the problems. .... and he just was sorry for me. from his experiences since years, he does not believe, that Dell will ever exchange the problematic boards.

I spend so much money on this model, because I wanted to use this machine for >4 years. - Now needing this machine because I'm writing my thesis and need my custom linux here (many scientific programs) . I have my doubts that I can live with the noise for years. The whine is horrible! Especially for the way I use my laptops as "mobile PC": Just working, no games or noisy things. And I'm not willing to kill my battery with 3 times / day charging just because of this problems. I have to use it on AC-power!

Now. the broken screen remind me that warranty time is ticking....

A question to all people from Germany around here: Did anybody had success to get Dell to exchange the MB because of the coil whine? If so, I would be happy for any message.

Unfortunatelly I feel more and more tricked by Dell at such premium product which is meant for working.... this noise is definitely killing the purpose of that laptop.

If nothing will happen, I consider to never choose a Dell product again. And Dell: Do you think young people at universities are not communicating to a vast amount of students about faulty design of electric circuits?

In my lectures I use my XPS  always an example about new semiconductors (the IGZO Display :) ) but also for electro-restrictive noise when one has bad layouts and parts.  :( - hopefully the upcomming engineers remeber those things, if they land in the industry.

7 Posts

May 5th, 2014 08:00

Edit: I wanted to edit/change my first post, but I can not find here such an option. Sorry therefore that I have to post 2 times.

I was very angry and emotionaly when I wrote the post and want to correct somethings to be fair: I never adressed the problems of coild whine in any lecture. But what is true: Some people had been very interested in this laptop as they saw my new one (collegues and friends)... After all the misdesign and quality management issues Dell seems to have with this model (and maybe more?). I would be a bad friend if I would say that I'm very disappointed with a laptop which had cost me almost the same like a challenging manufacture ones.  - Now after all I would have choosen that one. ... this is not a 700 EUR machine.

9 Posts

May 5th, 2014 08:00

That is a good news, but as you say, have they corrected the damn coil whine or are they just throwing that out in public to make our mouths water and try to hang in there, or is there another problem with the new one.....

I'm 2 days from my refund possibility so as is, I'm going for refund and i'll wait out for a few months to see if that new xps is really worth it or just plain not, and Dell would've proved to me once and for all they are not as great as they make people believe....

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

May 6th, 2014 16:00

I wanted to post an update on the XPS 15. Dell has been investigating reports of noticeable “coil whine”. Systems have been captured from the field and tested in the lab and the noise has been duplicated on some notebooks. Remodeled system boards for the XPS 15 are being worked on to help reduce system noise. I currently don’t have an ETA but I am expecting updates by the end of May. I will post here as soon as I have word when the new boards will be available.

TB

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

May 6th, 2014 21:00

This proves that Dell is just messing with us. Terry said "systems have been captured from the field" and "the noise has duplicated on some notebooks". If they were serious Terry would have said "systems have been captured directly from the factory" because dell xps 15 machines suffer from this from the first second out of the factory. Also he should have said "the noise has duplicated in the majority of the notebooks" because that is a fact. So, most likely Terry is talking BS and Dell is not willing to act like a serious company (whatever that means). 

Dude, seriously?  Are you just here to dump on Dell?  Let me break a few things down:

1. The reason Dell probably captures systems from the field rather than the factory is because a) those systems have already been reported to have the issue, whereas not all systems leaving the factory exhibit coil whine, and b) that way new orders aren't delayed by Dell having to pull some out of the supply line.  Plus capturing systems from the field is probably less expensive because those have already been returned and therefore can only be sold for less (e.g. at the Dell Outlet) whereas pulling new systems would be (albeit slightly) more expensive.

2. Neither you nor anybody else (except maybe Dell itself) has sufficient data to prove that coil whine affects "the majority" of these systems.  The fact that lots of people are on forums whining about it is most likely because people are more likely to join forums and post complaints in the hopes of finding solutions.  Very few people put up posts saying, "Hey I'm just writing here to let everyone know that everything is just peachy with my system."

3. Terry has already established a track record of keeping people updated and coming through.  If you read the Latitude E6430u cat urine smell thread, updates took a while because diagnosing the issue and developing a fix took a while, but Terry gave us the updates he could when he received them, and when the issue was resolved he posted steps that affected customers could take to acquire the fix.

Stop trolling on here.

17 Posts

May 6th, 2014 21:00

This proves that Dell is just messing with us. Terry said "systems have been captured from the field" and "the noise has duplicated on some notebooks". If they were serious Terry would have said "systems have been captured directly from the factory" because dell xps 15 machines suffer from this from the first second out of the factory. Also he should have said "the noise has duplicated in the majority of the notebooks" because that is a fact. So, most likely Terry is talking BS and Dell is not willing to act like a serious company (whatever that means). 

Thanks.

17 Posts

May 6th, 2014 22:00

Oh snap! You got me! This is exactly the reason I am here! :D

1. Yes, you are partially right. But still, the first thing a company has to do when it gets so many reports is to check this problem appears directly after the production.

2. Again you are partially right. But what about the people who get motherboard replacements? If it wasn't the majority of the laptops problematic then you would have heard a lot of people saying "yes, after the motherboard replacement the coil whine is gone". But this doesn't happen. So... statistically speaking (although 2-3 mother replacement in a row it is not a sufficient statistical sample, but stll it is better than nothing) I am right.
3. I sure Terry has already established a good track record but this doesn't prove that whatever Dell is telling him to say to us is not BS.  
So, relax, praise the lord and promote world peace!

9 Posts

May 7th, 2014 03:00

Dude, seriously?  Are you just here to dump on Dell?  Let me break a few things down:

1. The reason Dell probably captures systems from the field rather than the factory is because a) those systems have already been reported to have the issue, whereas not all systems leaving the factory exhibit coil whine, and b) that way new orders aren't delayed by Dell having to pull some out of the supply line.  Plus capturing systems from the field is probably less expensive because those have already been returned and therefore can only be sold for less (e.g. at the Dell Outlet) whereas pulling new systems would be (albeit slightly) more expensive.

2. Neither you nor anybody else (except maybe Dell itself) has sufficient data to prove that coil whine affects "the majority" of these systems.  The fact that lots of people are on forums whining about it is most likely because people are more likely to join forums and post complaints in the hopes of finding solutions.  Very few people put up posts saying, "Hey I'm just writing here to let everyone know that everything is just peachy with my system."

3. Terry has already established a track record of keeping people updated and coming through.  If you read the Latitude E6430u cat urine smell thread, updates took a while because diagnosing the issue and developing a fix took a while, but Terry gave us the updates he could when he received them, and when the issue was resolved he posted steps that affected customers could take to acquire the fix.

Stop trolling on here.

I'm going to say this as well:
Dude, seriously? Are you here to play dumb? Let me break a few things down to you:
1. Dell should have captured systems from the field since the beginning of the marketing of this laptop, which is since 9 months ago. But they were unable to find any for months (in difference to all the complaints and returns). They were unable to duplicate the problem; than in that case where's all the good motherboard replacements that didn't have the whine? Not a single person said "I got my MB replaced and it works great now, no whining.".
2. They just released a newer version of this XPS 9530 (processor 4712hq instead of 4072hq), and they didn't correct this whine noise yet or even recreated a new board to correct the problem on this one as he has mentioned recently. What does that tell you? That the new XPS 9530 should be just as flawed.
3. An Oil company with a largely complex offshore oil rig gets an issue with one of their platform's mechanical or underwater pipeline or electrotechnical layouts. I can seriously tell you that whatever problem they have that requires a lab and duplicating the problem to find a solution, it takes at most 1 month ( one month and a half if you consider all the shipping & delivery ). Why? Because time is money. And in Dell's case the more time they can keep their customers guessing, patient and as silent about the problem as possible, the more money they get out of clueless customers.
4. Dell has already been known to< ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU>their customers and play the game of doing nothing to resolve issues. They sold more than 12 million defective machines to customers and they got called on trial because of it. Don't believe me? Search for the "Dell Nichicon affair"< ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU> back in 2010.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

May 7th, 2014 07:00

I'm going to say this as well:

Dude, seriously? Are you here to play dumb? Let me break a few things down to you:
1. Dell should have captured systems from the field since the beginning of the marketing of this laptop, which is since 9 months ago. But they were unable to find any for months (in difference to all the complaints and returns). They were unable to duplicate the problem; than in that case where's all the good motherboard replacements that didn't have the whine? Not a single person said "I got my MB replaced and it works great now, no whining.".
2. They just released a newer version of this XPS 9530 (processor 4712hq instead of 4072hq), and they didn't correct this whine noise yet or even recreated a new board to correct the problem on this one as he has mentioned recently. What does that tell you? That the new XPS 9530 should be just as flawed.
3. An Oil company with a largely complex offshore oil rig gets an issue with one of their platform's mechanical or underwater pipeline or electrotechnical layouts. I can seriously tell you that whatever problem they have that requires a lab and duplicating the problem to find a solution, it takes at most 1 month ( one month and a half if you consider all the shipping & delivery ). Why? Because time is money. And in Dell's case the more time they can keep their customers guessing, patient and as silent about the problem as possible, the more money they get out of clueless customers.
4. Dell has already been known to< ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU>their customers and play the game of doing nothing to resolve issues. They sold more than 12 million defective machines to customers and they got called on trial because of it. Don't believe me? Search for the "Dell Nichicon affair"< ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU> back in 2010.

You're absolutely right that this should have been investigated faster.  I can't fathom why Dell has only now captured systems from the field and reproduced the issue, and nowhere did I say that it was reasonable that it took this long for them to do so.  I was simply responding to Bekos' critique that Dell chose to capture from the field rather than the production line.

There ARE in fact people on NotebookReview who have gotten replacement motherboards or entire systems and reported that the replacements do not have coil whine, as well as people who have received problem-free units from the beginning.  There are however also people who have received 2 or 3 replacement systems/motherboards with every single one having coil whine.  Again, I didn't even argue that coil whine DOESN'T affect the majority of shipped systems.  I simply pointed out that neither Bekos nor I has the hard data to substantiate a claim of that nature (especially given that Bekos went so far as to say "that is a fact") and that a majority of negative posts on forums of this nature is expected and does not necessarily indicate that a majority of the population is affected.  It's a simple self-reporting bias.

As for Dell's history, yes I'm aware of cases like that, but a lot can change in 4 years, and judging by the E6430u issue I mentioned earlier, it seems things possibly HAVE changed.  That problem also took a lot longer than it should have to get solved, but it GOT SOLVED.  We'll have to see how this goes.

I'm not playing dumb here.  I just don't see the point in continuing to bash Dell when things are moving in the direction they should be.  Of course it shouldn't have taken this long, but at some point it's no longer worth beating that dead horse and people should instead remain focused on the arrival of the solution.

No Events found!