Hashstrid
1 Copper

RE: XPS 15 9550 - BSOD freezes daily and randomly

I have read so many forums and posts on the BSOD, it was driving me crazy, I didn't return the machine cause i fell in Love with it.

What solved the problem for me was downloading the latest Smasung SSD driver NVMe, even though my ssd doesn't have specific drivers, downloading them did it.

Make sure you have latest BIOS and other drivers are up to date

0 Kudos
ryanjdesalvo
1 Nickel

I am!

0 Kudos
ryanjdesalvo
1 Nickel

I am also having BSOD critical process died. I installed the samsung driver and now I get random freezes instead. I am also a very unhappy Dell customer...

0 Kudos
Noctar
1 Copper

Hi,

Firstly, I had a Problem fixed, on WD USB HDD "My Passport" WXP1EA2FDN56 on Dell XPS 15 9550 (0N7TVV motherboard) under windows 10 x64 Pro v1607 build 1358. From the beginning, My Passport was present in the "right click window" on icon "to eject USB device" and in the device manager without ever any alarm but inaccessible in windows. I had also many BSOD crash, without dump,  mainly of 2 types "critical_process_died" and "unexpected store exception".

So, I make the following changes to fix problems with storage device:

1.Change from SATA RAID 0 to SATA AHCI,  more stable (especially if HDD<2, SSD not included),

to fix BSOD, crash without dump of the type "critical process died" error.

2.Update WD disk with the last firmware, available on WD support web site,

3.Update Dell (Intel) SATA AHCI drivers with Dell Assistant Support,

4.Plug your disk on USB3 Hub with individual power button (HBUM43 from Sabrent 7€, for example).

Until now, I haven't any more "Unexpected Store Exceptions" error, but to install my passport

with the power "On" button of the hub it was a too long process (wasted time). I have a more stable system but it is not perfect.

Secondly, remains the problems of impossible repair of windows 10, backup, windows update, without loss of data and applications, with no violation of integrity of the system after sfc /scannow. It seems linked to dll corrupted or missing, after DISM repair attempts and inaccessible sources. The 1607_14393.1358 ISO from Dell (2DF4FA00_W10x64ROW_pro(DL)_v3) or from Microsoft update KB4022715 doesn't work or install with desactivated antivirus. Antivirus Avira doesn't detect infection.

Quality Assurance Departments from Dell & Microsoft  allow non-functional products to be sold.

But, what are they doing ? Probably, they want being overtaken by the competition and finally

close their doors ?

MN

NB : I think that initial hardware storage device incompatibilty resulted in damaged dll but why isn't possible to repair it  simply ?

0 Kudos
Badger40
1 Copper

Ok, I think I have a solution to this one - at least one that has worked for me.  I too have the Dell XPS 15 9550 with the 512Gb SSD Samsung drive.  I was having the BSOD with CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED once every day or so even after a full windows rebuild.  I logged a case with Dell and, like other people here, after the Samsung SSD firmware was updated, the BSODs stopped but the laptop would then freeze and completely lock up about 2-5 times per day requiring a hard power off each time.

After MANY hours of support phone calls and every driver replaced about five times, one chap suggest a solution which has fixed my problem... FINALLY.  We went into BIOS and into the Performance section and disabled Intel TurboBoost.  TurboBoost dynamically overclocks CPU and GPU when under high load and it seemed to be causing a power issue.  Anyway, two full days with no crashes since then... the day before the change - 5 crashes in 24 hours so it definitely has sorted my issue.

Anyway, hope that helps someone else!