Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

January 18th, 2017 21:00

XPS 15 9550 Battery Drain when plugged in (only charge if battery fully depleted)

I have an XPS 9550 6th Gen running Windows 10 (Just over 1 year, out of warranty).

The issue is when the charge plug is plugged in and hovering over the battery icon it says that battery is charging.  However the battery is not charging but discharging until the laptop switches off.  The only way for the battery to charge again is to deplete the battery until the laptop is unresponsive when the power button is pushed to switch lap top on.  Once there is no residual power in the battery it will start charging again to 100% after which the cycle repeats, discharge.

Things I have tried.

Latest Bios update - no change

Another A/C charger - worked ok for a few days

Replaced battery - no change

Bios settings - reset to default (info related to battery and A/C charge reports all good)

F12 - Dell diagnostics, reports all good

When Battery is disconnected the laptop works normally

The laptop charge socket seems tight and secure

I have searched the internet exhaustively but have not found this same issue reported.  The only feasible way I can use the laptop is to disconnect the battery.

Can anyone suggest anything?

I would also like to disable the battery instead of having to open it up to disconnect, is this possible?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks 

Andrew

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 20th, 2017 07:00

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

In the meantime, right click battery icon at the bottom of taskbar, and then click Dell Command | Power Manager. I'd suggest you change battery settings and see if that will make a difference, see image below:  

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

blahhawk70 wrote: Bios settings - reset to default (info related to battery and A/C charge reports all good)

:emotion-2:

You mean Battery Health is Good or Excellent ?

February 22nd, 2017 22:00

Thanks for the replies.  I tried all above without luck.

I got fed up with it so open up the laptop again and unplugged the connector from the battery and now it will not work without battery being plugged in.  Very strange as it worked before.

I think there must be a hardware problem, possibly the motherboard.  such a shame as when it was working normally was the best laptop I ever owned.

March 18th, 2017 05:00

Feeling angry, spent over 2.5K on this laptop.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 18th, 2017 07:00

After you unplugged the connector from battery, you pressed "Power On" button for about 20 seconds to release Status Flea Power ? You did right click the battery icon at taskbar, click Dell Command | Power Manager, and then check battery's health (see Power Manager lite image above)? How about Power and battery-status light on the system?  

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

You can also check the Battery and AC adapter status in the BIOS. Please follow steps below;

1. Power on system

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping the F2 key continuously. In the BIOS, you should see the Battery/ Adapter status.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

"Tried another A/C charger - worked ok for a few days. Replaced battery - no change "

:emotion-2:

Lastly, the battery and adapter are Dell genuine parts? If no, I'd suggest you quickly ask the seller for a new one or refund.

March 18th, 2017 20:00

I have 2, I know for sure that the one that come with the laptop is original.  I have 2 AC adapters and both produce same results.

March 18th, 2017 20:00

Yes, I did this.  The software reports battery health as excellent.  The status light will be solid white when AC power is connected.  I don't remember seeing a solid amber when the battery is critically low.

No Events found!