Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 31st, 2016 07:00

XPS 15 9550 GPU and CPU temperature reaching maximum?

Hi,

I recently got the XPS 15 9550 i5-6300HQ and GTX 960M. It's beautiful but when running games it gets hot to touch but not excessive, however I have monitored the hardware temps and it reaches up to 85 degrees GPU (then fan goes crazy until it lowers again) and 80 degrees CPU. It can sometimes maintain 80 degrees on both for the full session. I appreciate this is when they are working hard but are these temperatures too high for my laptop? I cannot find Dells recommended limits. I have not noticed any throttling. Do other users have any comparable temperatures?

For extra info during these temperatures the GPU runs at 100 percent and the CPU on all 4 cores around 70 percent. 

Thanks!

5 Posts

April 2nd, 2016 08:00

A little more follow up, in case it is helpful.  I found an extensive review of the XPS 15 9550 on notebookcheck.net dated 12/23/2015.  They stated "The GPU temperature does not fluctuate as much as the CPU: It can reach 90 °C, where the throttling sets in and the temperature of the GPU will level off at around 70 °C."

They provide a picture of a video stress test that includes a picture of the HWInfo monitoring utility.  It shows the GPU reached 90C, but throttled back to 70C by reducing its clock speed.  In their stress test, the GPU clock reduces to the 600s and the GPU memory to 400MHz.

When I run stress tests, accompanied by HWInfo for monitoring the sensors, my GPU clock remains above 1100MHz and the GPU memory remains at 1252.8.  It never reduces and the temp stays around 90C.

I have no idea if throttling is controlled by software, or by the GPU itself.  Neither Dell, nor NVIDIA could provide me helpful info on that.  If it is a software setting somewhere in the NVIDIA Control Panel, I don't know where to find it.

5 Posts

March 31st, 2016 22:00

I have the same laptop with an i7-6700HQ and 4K display.  Just tried running Witcher 3 and Far Cry 3 and my GPU temp jumps to 90-91 almost instantly.  I tried everything from low to high graphics quality settings and even limited the FPS (using Riva Tuner) and it made no difference.

I'll be contacting tech support (wish me luck) because those temps seem like they will fry the laptop.

6 Posts

April 1st, 2016 10:00

I haven't seen mine reach those temperatures yet although of course my CPU is weaker/cooler. Do you see any thermal throttling on the GPU, and I guess the fans run at maximum? Thanks for the info, good luck and let us know how you get on/what they recommend.

5 Posts

April 1st, 2016 22:00

I spent over two hours on the phone with Dell Tech Support today, most of it with "level 1" but he was constantly consulting with a "level 2" tech.  We went through the standard checking of the BIOS version, and updating Intel Chipset drivers, etc.  None of that made any difference.

The tech was not aware of any specific max temperature for the 960M and actually Googled info about it while I was talking.  We duplicated the 90C temps when running games and also when running the Dell Support Assist video stress tests that are included with the laptop.  The card stayed at 90C and did not throttle the processor to reduce the temperature.

Dell is going to send a technician to my home (I paid for premium support) with a new motherboard, since the 960M is integrated to the mobo.  This seems like a very generous offer on their part, since they couldn't even confirm that 90C is a problem.

After the conversation, I did an online chat with NVIDIA to see what they recommended.  I found an old (2010 I think) FAQ answer on NVIDIA's site that said their GPUs are designed to operate up to 105C!  It also said that a specific max temp for each GPU would be listed under the specifications for that product on their site - it is not, at least not for the 960M.

When I asked the NVIDIA chat support tech what the max temperature should be for the 960M, he said that each manufacturer customizes these chipsets and he could therefore not comment about the temperature.  However, he did say, and I quote "90C at load is ok, But it should vary depending on load and not be at 90C at all times."

I've seen posts on other forums, with laptops from a different manufacturer, that their 960M throttles at 74C.  To have the NVIDIA chat support tech say it is OK at 90C makes me wonder, since everything else I've read says this is too high.  I have a GTX 980 Ti in a home computer and the stock card throttles itself at 84C. As I said, the Dell techs could not provide an answer as to what the max temp should be on the XPS 15.

At this point, I'll gladly let Dell provide a new motherboard and 960M and see what results, but I won't be surprised if the new one registers 90C.

6 Posts

April 3rd, 2016 09:00

Thanks again for that info. Let us know how the new motherboard performs. I have kept looking and couldn't find the temperature limit for the 960M either. I see the GTX960 desktop version is around 98 degrees. That is very nice of Dell to give you the new board anyway. 

I haven't noticed throttling of any kind. I just hear the fan kick in even more at 80/85 degrees and the temperature seems to stabilize. The laptop isn't too hot to touch so I'm hoping this means it isn't too much of an issue. It's frustrating that no one can tell us what limit we should be looking for, especially in such a thin laptop.

5 Posts

April 7th, 2016 08:00

Unfortunately, it will be some time before I get the motherboard replaced.  The service tech called me yesterday (Wednesday) to schedule an appointment.  My job requires me to travel and I'm gone until Friday night this week and gone Monday-Thursday next week.

The tech said it is Dell policy to only allow him to hold the part for five days.  I asked if he could repair my laptop over the weekend - nope.  I asked if he could contact Dell and see if they would extend that five days to the following Friday, when I would be home.  He checked with Dell and apparently they said - nope.

Seems like a very consumer unfriendly policy and quite frankly, doesn't make any sense to me. 

April 7th, 2016 09:00

Glad I found your post...I just got my xps 9550 i7 512 and was also a little worried about the temps..although I never got above 80...but mostly it was around 70  while playing gta5 or far cry...

6 Posts

April 7th, 2016 10:00

Not ideal at all :( I have spoken to tech support to find out what is normal temps too. Mine recently reached 88 degrees GPU which I hadn't seen before. Still no throttling but it was hot. The bottom of the laptop also got VERY hot despite being on a flat surface. I don't mind if this is normal but it seems no one knows. I have noticed that the GPU fan stays off until needed however the CPU is constantly running. 

For now I will wait and see what the official advice is. I guess there is a price to pay for a thing and powerful laptop that no amount of engineering can solve yet. Something tech support made me do when solving a different issue was to run the dell diagnostics from the F12 menu (I believe) on startup. This check the fans etc to see if all was working. 

1 Message

April 7th, 2016 13:00

">

1 Message

May 13th, 2016 04:00

similar situation, did you get any response?

3 Posts

June 26th, 2016 22:00

I bought a MSI GE62 6QD for 1000$ with the same specs as yours 6700hq\960m 2gb\16gb etc.. The highest temp after gaming over an hour is 65c and I have overclocked it as well.. Base clock offset +135 and Memory clock offset +620. My CPU hits 71c.. When buying a gaming laptop it is recommended to buy a laptop with good cooling system like the one I have (Cooler Boost 3) I have my fans on and their a little on the loud side but at least my cpu and gpu won't hit those ridiculous high temps.. If you go dell at least try going for an Alienware..

No Events found!