Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 7th, 2017 16:00

XPS 15 9550 - Slow boot time and possible issue with CPU

I'm in no way an expert and this is my second Dell laptop which I've had since Sept 2016. I've been finding lately that my laptop was taking a long time to get past the Dell startup logo during a hard boot, and even when restarting. The only time I get a snappy startup is when waking the laptop. Overall the laptop's performance feels less snappy than it should, given the specs it's got. Initially I wondered if it was an issue with the SSD so I ran a couple of benchmark tools (UserBenchmark and Crystal Disk). They both showed the SSD is operating fine, and UserBenchmark says the CPU and RAM are underperforming. 

Results:

UserBenchmarks: Game 22%, Desk 43%, Work 37%
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ - 35.8%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 960M - 21.2%
SSD: Nvme PC300 SK hy 512GB - 137.1%
RAM: Samsung M471A1G43EB1-CPB 2x8GB - 63.4%
MBD: Dell XPS 15 9550

Screenshot: 

Do these numbers look right to you? Do I have a faulty CPU and RAM? Any advice please about anything I can do before I get on the phone to Dell? All drivers are up to date and I've installed all the latest updates from Dell. I've also run a SupportAssist extended scan and all passed.

TIA.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

April 10th, 2017 05:00

Hi conishninja1981,

Thanks for posting.

Here is some information you may find helpful: http://dell.to/2nTKeqg

1 Rookie

• 

490 Posts

April 12th, 2017 08:00

In Task manager, check if the CPU clock happens to be locked at 0.8 GHz. If yes, disconnecting the battery for a minute supposedly helps.

Try running the Mersenne Prime95 benchmark, and watch CPU clock and core temperatures. If the core temperatures go near 100 degC and the clock gets downthrottled, you might have a cooling efficiency problem. If it is not dust-clogged fins, repasting the CPU&GPU might help.

April 12th, 2017 08:00

Thank you Robert. But I've updated the BIOS at least 2 or 3 times through the automatic updates from Dell.  They didn't improve the situation. The updates occurred before I ran the benchmark tests. My current BIOS version is 1.2.19. Is this the latest version?

(Like I said, I'm not an expert in this stuff.)

No Events found!