Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

August 4th, 2016 13:00

XPS 15 9550 and S.M.A.R.T.

I run a XPS 15 9550 system with Windows 10 Pro and a Samsung NVMe 951PM SSD in Intel RST RAID mode.

I used on a clean install below driver and have not had any problems with the system or the SSD itself so far.

downloadcenter.intel.com/.../Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver

I am interested in S.M.A.R.T.  data, but CrystalDiskInfo-v7.0.0 does not show any data, nor can above SSD be monitored by Acronis Drive Monitor-v1.0.566 via SMART.

What am I missing, or does a RAID system just not allow SMART readings?

Thank you and please explain in detail.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 4th, 2016 13:00

It depends on the OEM firmware -- the retail versions of the Samsung drives DO report SMART to Samsung's Magician software -- that software isn't supported on OEM drives, which may not do the reporting (presumably Dell wants you to use the Dell diagnostics to test/survey the drive).

August 5th, 2016 01:00

have the same configuration and found no way to get the SMART data while using the Intel RST/RAID driver with the NVMe drive. (It is OK with standard SATA drives on other systems I manage.)

The RAID driver is necessary when using some disk configurations on the XPS 9550 but with just a PM951, a standard NVMe driver if often better. I currently use the standard Microsoft NVMe driver but there are alternatives from Samsung and Intel that some prefer.

To change from RAID to AHCI configure Windows for safe mode reboot as this will force the NVMe driver to be loaded. Reboot, F2 to enter BIOS setup, change from RAID to ACHI, boot into safe mode, change back to normal boot and reboot. CrystalDiskInfo should then report SMART data. You can then change from RAID to AHCI whenever you want as both drivers are available.

8 Posts

August 5th, 2016 03:00

Phil,

Thank you very much for your detailed answer. It covers pretty much my findings and I just needed some confirmation.

Best wishes to you from Switzerland.
Juan

No Events found!