Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 30th, 2016 10:00

XPS 15 9550 install Windows 7

The laptop comes with Windows 10 pre-installed. My company requires to use Windows 7. I created a USB drive with windows 7 installation, but it seems to need USB 2.0 port. I am not sure if this laptop model supports Windows 7. Does anyone have experience successfully installing Windows 7 on XPS 15 (9550)?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 1st, 2016 03:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us!

Ideally the system should support the downgrade as long as the installation is clean and all the drivers and update are run on the system.

kindly private message the service tag and email address.

Thanks

Robin

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 1st, 2016 04:00

You may want to consider asking if your company will make an exception - you will lose functionality running 7 on this system.  Windows 7 doesn't have native support for the USB controller in the system (you'll need to build a custom install media set for the system) and doesn't support the power management features of the Skylake CPU, among other things - not to mention the almost absurd number of updates required by 7 once it is installed.

July 1st, 2016 08:00

Thanks for the comment, but my company would rather replace the notebook than make an exception for the OSS. There are security SW that runs on Windows 7.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 1st, 2016 08:00

You're going to have to locate all the drivers from the component manufacturers (Intel, Broadcom, Realtek, etc.) -- Dell doesn't have drivers for this model and Windows 7.

You will also need to build a custom install of Windows 7 including the Intel USB 3 drivers.  There's a guide here:

www.reddit.com/.../

That should get the installation going -- you will be sacrificing some battery runtime due to the lack of support by 7 of Skylake low-power mode, but once 7 is installed you should be set.

No Events found!