Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

September 4th, 2016 05:00

XPS 15 9550 with TB15 dock

Dell XPS15 + TD15 is the biggest fail of 2015 and 2016.

This is unbelievable example of software team incompetency.

If XPS15 works in common stable after 6+ months after sales started.

While TB15 not only lags, but every new software update adds new lags and bugs, even not always fixing previous. This is unbelievable worst software processes.

And this is one of the best PC laptop and one of the best Thunderbolt dock.

The problem is not new:

I have Dell XPS15 9550 + TB15.

Sure this doesn't work with a closed lid with any configuration.

But it doesn't work even with opened lid. I used this manual to configure and update drivers/firmware.

It was working for me in June, and first part of August (sure with lags, but I was able to work with this).

But then, suddenly %), without any updates, lags frequency increased. And my external monitor became turning off every 1-10 minutes. Sound and mouse too.

Without any updates, like a magic.

After updating from scratch of all drivers and firmware (the same manual), nothing changed.

Actually I think monitor works with more lags.

As a customer who used V131 laptop, Dell monitor for many years, it looks like that were last products I purchased..

5 Posts

October 5th, 2016 20:00

Surprised nobody has commented. I have the same setup, whilst I wouldnot say the 9550 is *the best* laptop, it is very good, but at 3000$ it ought to be! However the TB15, at the cost of a decent entry model laptop, is a total nightmare. After over six months, I have finally found a partial answer: get the Startech.com TBT3TBTADAP TB3 to TB adapter and plug it in to a legacy TB1 or TB2 dock. Everything works. 100 CAN$ down. The downside of course is that you get 4K at 30hz, but for now I am happy something actually works!

Had I known this would be such a horror schlock would never have bought the XPS and kept on plugging away with my old setup.

1 Message

October 7th, 2016 05:00

Elpatolino, you do not have to suffer from 30hz. I have an external 4K monitor at 60hz attached to my 9550 via a Thunderbolt 3 (usb-c ?) to displayport cord. I've been patiently waiting for the whole TB15 dock situation to resolve. So disappointed. I've been looking for alternatives to this dock and found a dearth of products. I'm wondering. Has anyone able to use one of these alternatives on their XPS15 9550 to charge their computer and run an external 4K monitor at 60hz?

Plugable

Flagship Thunderbolt 3 dock (Plugable TBT3-UDV)

StarTech

Thunderbolt 3 Dual-4K Docking Station for Laptops - 5K Support - Windows Only

Product ID: TB3DK2DPW

Please google. I'm not sure if this forum allows posting of URL's.

1 Message

October 7th, 2016 17:00

Talked to Dell support today about my non-working TB15.. and she said, yes the TB15 is on hold due to problems and there will come a TB16...  when she could not say..

Any of you that have heard the same?

October 25th, 2016 04:00

@Elpatolino, my one costed me 1.5k (without 4k display I don't need). And for me it was one of the best option.

@Dell, this is a sh%t company - no response at all.. called to support without any luck. TB15 is not serviced. Every call to support about this problem like a surprise, like there is at lease one user without XPS+TB15 problem

@nosauce, I'm using SVGA port and few USB, will it work for me?

@acarlberg, this one costed $200, and what do they propose me to do, to buy a new one? =) Looks like Dell is a company I described above.

No Events found!