Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 15th, 2011 05:00

XPS 15: Charger Plugged In But Not Charging

Three month new XPS 15.  Started receiving an error message:  Charger is plugged in but not charging.  Anyone have any ideas what this is about?  Thank you.

904 Posts

February 15th, 2011 09:00

Hi Telson,

Thank you for the information.  Since last night when I first saw this issue pop up, it has not reoccured.  The BIOS shows the adapter is recognized, and it charged the laptop this morning without any problems.  A one time hiccup, perhaps?  :emotion-42:

Such onetime hiccups happen only when the adapter is not firmly plugged in, If you get such a message again ,reconnect the adapter cable.

Make sure that there is no physical damage to the cable or to the port, if there is and not caused by the usage of the system, report the same to Dell Tech Support.

I am sure you wont have this message again.

904 Posts

February 15th, 2011 05:00

Hi Andy

Thank you for using the Dell Community.

We need to follow these steps and see if this resolves the problem.

1) Firstly check in BIOS If the AC Adpt is detected, If it is then proceed to step 2, if not then make sure the AC Adpt is plugged in firmly. Get in touch with Dell Tech Support if the problem persists. Refer to BIOS screenshots below.

2) If the AC Adpt is detected in BIOS, then we need to reinstall the QuickSet application. Go to programs and features and remove the Quickset application, restart the system. Download and Install Dell QuickSet XPS L501X 

25 Posts

February 15th, 2011 09:00

Hi Telson,

Thank you for the information.  Since last night when I first saw this issue pop up, it has not reoccured.  The BIOS shows the adapter is recognized, and it charged the laptop this morning without any problems.  A one time hiccup, perhaps?  :emotion-42:

2 Posts

August 11th, 2011 02:00

I have a Dell XPS that is a couple weeks old and am having the same problem (replaced once already, had a hard drive failure the day I got the first one). I've tried checking the BIOS, its detecting the adapter and I've tried installing the L502X Quickset. Nothing so far has resolved the problem. The first time I went into the BIOS charging was disabled and I don't know why but everytime since it has been enabled but still reads "plugged in, not charging".

2 Posts

August 11th, 2011 02:00

In the battery meter, below the battery bar it says "Battery Charging Disabled".

I've also tried uninstalling the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" in device manager and then scanning for new hardware, this also has not fixed the problem.

January 28th, 2014 04:00

Hi

I have also XPS L502x & having same Problem "plugged in but Not Charging". Four time orange Light & One time white light blinks. Battery is showing 0% available. I have Checked Adapter & also Changed Plug in Point but issue is same. Please Tell me solution. I was purchased this Laptop before 1.5 year.  Its 9 Cell Battery & i was not expect there will not any problem at least 3 years. Before this i have HP NX6120, purchased in 2006 & still its battery giving backup 40-50 minutes on video play. But  I was expect with dell, it will run proper 3 year without any issue but with in 1.5 year it....If you have any solution then suggest...:(

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 28th, 2014 04:00

Check the BIOS setup - if the adapter is still showing as unknown, and you've already tried a new DC jack and power adapter, the mainboard is bad.

January 28th, 2014 22:00

Hi EJN63

Thanks for reply.  I have checked in BIOS setup...but i didn't understand what i have to see there. I am sending you some images & please clear me what is the main issue with System:---

i

No Events found!