Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 19th, 2011 03:00

XPS 15 Colour Calibration on FHD B+RGLED 1920x1080 Screen

Hey folks,

Just received my new XPS 15, which Im mostly very please with, barring colour performance.  True, the colours are extremely vivid, however, reds in particular seem over-saturated, overly-bright (not address by adjusting screen brightness) and almost fluorescent.  Whilst this is most noticeable with reds, it applies to all colours.  Ive used the Windows 7 Colour Calibration tool which has improved the colour slightly,  (Grey bars test didnt reveal any dominant colour) however it hasnt addressed to problem fully.  Are there any other settings within the system that can change the colour performance?  Alternatively, is there any other colour calibration software that might do a better job than the one installed?

Many thanks,

N

3.8K Posts

April 21st, 2011 08:00

Hi Nelio1,

Welcome to the Community. To adjust the color saturation follow these steps.

Click the "Start" button.Select "Control Panel." Click "Appearance and Personalization." Click the "Customize Colors" link under the "Personalization" heading. The "Window Color and Appearance" screen appears. Click the desired color swatch. Check the check box in front of "Enable Transparency," if desired. Slide the "Color Intensity" slider bar to define the intensity of the color. Click the downward pointing arrow to show the "Color Mixer." Adjust the slider bars for "Hue," "Saturation" and "Brightness."Click the "Open classic appearance properties for more options" link to see the "Appearance" dialog box. From this box, a new "Windows Color Theme" may be selected. Click the desired color theme from the list of available themes, then click "OK."

Hope this helps.

Thank you

Royan

2 Posts

July 22nd, 2011 13:00

Hi Royan,

You misunderstood his question; he is referring to color calibration of the display itself. The R+GB screen is incredibly difficult to calibrate accurately, I have spent literally hours with both calibration tools and my eyes. I can get the colors quite accurate using the Intel HD Graphics application but the one fact is you can't change the color temperature of the display (or some calll it the white point).

I just tried chatting with Dell Tech Support then proceeded to try to send me to a special branch (disconnecting me in the process) to find out if there is a way to actually change the white point. I tried an older Datacolor Spyder 2 Express but the Spyder 2 colorometers are not compatible with wide-gamut displays. I am really surprised there has not been an update allowing color temperature change, they offer this screen with photographers and videographers in mind but they don't give the option to customize everything without buying $300 worth of equipment.

4 Posts

April 26th, 2012 12:00

I used google found your post, almost year later I met same problem as you mentioned. I'd like to ask you how did you solve this issue. Thanks!

2 Posts

April 30th, 2012 19:00

I ended up purchasing a Spyder 3 Elite to calibrate the screen. I was able to get it more accurate, it does indeed come close to exhibiting full Adobe RGB. However, the Reds are still over saturated and when I do any editing in photoshop or lightroom only using my laptop and not with my external monitor I have to keep in the back of my mind that the reds will print a lot less saturated. The screen is in fact beautiful but it's definitely not great for what I do professionally... have regretted the purchase for a year now. Save the money get a screen that will do an accurate 100% sRGB then use the extra money for an excellent external monitor. 

There is a reason Mac doesn't go wide gamut screens and just stick to high quality sRGB screens, especially the ones with anti-glare.... it's also the reason they are preferred by photographers and videographers.

3.6K Posts

April 30th, 2012 22:00

One of these  www.bhphotovideo.com/.../Sima_SUO_200M_USB_Multi_Cable_with.html  . Or you can get just a plain USB to Firewire cable cheaper,but the one listed covers all connections.

4 Posts

April 30th, 2012 22:00

Thanks for you share your experience, we are in the same boat, I have bought xps 15 too. I will keep it in mind, red colour is over saturated. I have another question, this laptop doesn't have firewire port how can you capture video from premiere. Thanks again.

July 31st, 2014 14:00

Could you send me the icc profile you created for this display.
No Events found!