Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 16th, 2015 09:00

XPS 15 L521x keyboard not working

My keyboard stopped working for no apparent reason.  I can sometimes get it to work for a while by doing a restart.  Please help!

2K Posts

August 17th, 2015 22:00

Hi cranne,

Please make a post with a detailed description of the issue and any troubleshooting that you might have done to fix the issue. One liners on a forum usually do not get responses.

When did the issue start? Did you make any changes to the system before the issue occurred? Were there any bluescreens/crashes on the system? Could you use an external keyboard on the system and check if the system works fine? What are you doing on the system when the keyboards stops working? Are you the only user on the system? Could you check with a different user account if the issue occurs there? Are there specific keys that stops working or the whole key set itself does not respond? Does the mouse work fine when the keyboard stops responding? Are you able to use the onscreen keyboard at that point to see if it works? Does this happen when the system is running on battery or adapter?

Update the BIOS from support.dell.com - http://dell.to/1kGWIcI - enter the service tag and select drivers and downloads and run the BIOS update.

Restart the system and keep tapping on f12 key and select diagnostics. Run the test and make a note of any errors that you might possibly encounter and reply with the error details.

Run the keyboard custom scan on pccheckup and see if all the keys on the set work fine.

Keep us updated.

3 Posts

September 20th, 2015 10:00

I have not responded because the keyboard started working again out of the blue.  Then it stopped again.  I have been using an old external keyboard since then (about 2 weeks).

I am the only user of this computer.

Running on adapter.

While keyboard was not working, I did Control Panel > Keyboard.  It said the device was working properly, which it was not.

Did not try on-screen keyboard.

ALL keys stop working.

Mouse works fine.

Have wireless in my house but recently have been connecting to internet through ethernet cord to improve speed.

No changes to system, no installations, no software added.

I did the BIOS update.  Computer restarted and now keyboard works fine.  I tried the F12 during another restart but diagnostics did not come up.

I am hoping the update of the BIOS did the trick.  Please let me know if there is something else I should do.  I will keep my external keyboard handy just in case.

Thank you for your help!

2K Posts

September 27th, 2015 03:00

Hi Cranne,

Apologies for delay in response.

Thank you for the update.

Well, if the keyboard is working fine now, I suppose the BIOS update might have fixed the issue.

When you restart the system, immediately before or upon seeing the Dell logo, you would have to tap f12 key multiple times to enter one time boot menu and choose diagnostics from there. You could also initiate diags by - turning off the system - press and hold "fn" key + power button.

At this point, as long as there is no issue with the system, I don't see a reason you would need to perform any fix.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

3 Posts

September 27th, 2015 06:00

I hope it never happens again, but if the problem recurs, I will run Diagnostics.

Thanks again for your help! 

4 Posts

August 3rd, 2016 19:00

I am having a similar problem with my XPS-15 L521X. I seem to be having the issue after I log in, this when the keyboard stops functioning. I've tried using an external keyboard and that to does not work. I ran the diagnostics and it did not find any issues. I ran a test on dell's website and it passes. I am not sure what is going on or what else to do.

6 Posts

August 4th, 2016 05:00

I have exactly the same problem too. Wanted to write 2 days ago, but also had problems signing in to this community website.

Anyway keyboard sometimes work but only for short time. Did all of what was mentioned above and this morning I also installed fresh Windows 10 copy but keyboard is still not working

Please help.

EDIT: Apparently this is not hardware problem if we got same problem at same time. And currently I can't even get to BIOS.

4 Posts

August 4th, 2016 07:00

What I found this morning while looking into the issue, was that I have to hold the keys down a few seconds for it to work. I am also getting an audible feedback when the keys are depressed and an audible sound when the command has been executed. This was no present before, but like I said it takes a few seconds for this to happen, a delay in the command. Need help please.

6 Posts

August 8th, 2016 08:00

Any updates? I find this really frustrating.

I manged to get into BIOS and ran diagnostics and everything seemed to be ok.

After that I came in Windows and keyboard seemed to work. Only for a while.

2K Posts

August 10th, 2016 00:00

Hi KASHKA11,

What is the current OS installed on the system?

Update the BIOS - http://dell.to/2aYm4Hw- restart the system and check. If the issue is not resolved, then reinstall the chipset drivers from the same site above.

Restart and check in safe mode.

Try the built in admin.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.

Keep us updated.

*******************************************************************************************

@breshar - what is the exact system model? What is the exact BIOS version on the system? Is there any liquid spillage on the system?

Try the steps listed above.

Keep us updated.

4 Posts

August 10th, 2016 09:00

Ok...

It was a really simple fix on my end. The filter keys setting was on. Not sure how it came on. The keyboard was actually working, but you had to hold the key down for a few seconds until you heard an audible sound.

Once I turned the filter keys setting off, I regained normal operation.

Hopes this helps some of you.

4 Posts

August 10th, 2016 11:00

You can get to the filter keys by going to settings - was of access - keyboard

6 Posts

August 10th, 2016 11:00

Hello Rishi

Firstly, thank you for answer and help.

I have Dell XPS 15 L521X, BIOS is up to date accordint to Dell website. There was no liquid spillage over keyboard. I will try doing what you wrote to KASHKA11 and also for filter keys settings (don't know yet where in WINDWOS 10 it is but I'll find it). I'll let you know what happens.

Regards

2K Posts

August 13th, 2016 01:00

Hi BRESHAR,

Were you able to try the steps as advised previously by Kashka11 and myself?

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.

Keep us updated.

2K Posts

August 13th, 2016 01:00

Hi KASHKA11,

Thank you for the update. 

Glad you were able to manage to resolve the issue.

Should you need any help / info, contact us anytime.

Happy Weekend!

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

August 13th, 2016 08:00

":emotion-2:

Please type Ease of Access Center Control Panel onto [Cortana] search box, stroll down to "Make The keyboard easier to use" and then click it. You should see the Turn On Filter keys. Sticky keys will cause problems as well.

No Events found!