Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 19th, 2017 21:00

XPS 15 Sleep - What Should I Expect?

I've just got a new XPS 15.  My daily system is (and will continue to be) a MacBook Pro.  The MacBook has sleep down pat.  Close it and then open it, even 3 days later, and you're exactly where you were when you left off.

With the XPS, sometimes it sleeps and I use the fingerprint reader to get back.  Sometimes it powers off and I have to power it up (and it usually, but not always) comes back to where it was.

What should I expect, and are there settings that I can update to make it more closely have the same experience as my MacBook?

TIA!

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

June 20th, 2017 04:00

Hi 3DP,

Thanks for posting.

Here is some information you may find helpful:  http://dell.to/2tIspxO

1 Rookie

• 

490 Posts

June 20th, 2017 06:00

> With the XPS, sometimes it sleeps and I use the fingerprint reader to get back.  Sometimes it powers off and I have to power it up (and it usually, but not always) comes back to where it was.

I assume that in Power options, profile settings / Advanced under Sleep, you probably have the "Hibernate after" option set to a specified time. After that time, the laptop automatically wakes for an instant just to switch over to Hibernate (to avoid training the battery). So if you wake it after a longer time, it resumes from Hibernate, which takes a bit longer.

Ideally this is a good concept. Unfortunately, a few bugs may appear in this activity. Sometimes you can debug observing Event viewer / System log, but often you don't find much. If it doesn't resume you can also try using WhoCrashed to see if the crash produced any dump to debug.

I had to set Hibernate after to Never, because this function didn't work reliably and the laptop woke up and was running hot in my bag. Also if I go into Hibernate manually, it sometimes fails to recover, so I avoid using it. Sleep seems to be mostly reliable (except that it may drain the battery in a few days). A few times it also stopped waking up from Sleep, which seemed to have been somehow triggered by unsafe shutdowns, and was cured by reflashing BIOS.

No Events found!