Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 14th, 2010 13:00

XPS 15 VGA port

Hi

Is there a way to connect the XPS 14 or XPS 15 to a VGA monitor or projector? Because they only came with a HDMI port and DisplayPort.

Is there an adaptor in the box with the notebook or Dell sell an adaptor?

There are sites on the web that sell an adaptor HDMI TO VGA but many say that doesn't work.

Maybe there are options with an DisplayPort or USB adapter.

If Dell sell this adaptor i want to know wich one work with this notebook.

Another question is Why XPS 15 have USB 3.0 ports and XPS 14 have USB 2.0? Is there an error in the specifications?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 14th, 2010 14:00

VGA is analog.

HDMI and DisplayPort are both digital.

Thus, you will need some sort of converter box.

4 Posts

November 15th, 2010 19:00

That's right IEEE488

That is why the simple cables dosn't seem to work.

I found these accessories on the Dell website. One does not work in Studio 14Z

The other does not clarify the compatibility with other notebook models 

I chat with a Dell sales expert and told me to buy one of those adapter kit but i dont think that works.

And it makes me suspicious of the recommendations because they do not seem to know what would be the answer

2 Posts

January 9th, 2011 14:00

You can get an adapter for about 20 dollars that goes from your mini display port to VGA. Dell does sell that adapter, although you can also get it from places like newegg.com or amazon.com. I agree that it is a bad idea to go from HDMI to VGA. Dell offered the display port to vga adapter when I bought my XPS 15. I would recommend finding a mini display port to VGA adapter.

3 Posts

January 11th, 2011 13:00

I can confirm that using the Apple "Mini Displayport to VGA adapter" like this one  works for my wife's Dell XPS 15 (bought Dec 2010). I only tried on an acer projector. The Dell adapter was not available for me on the Australian store but I tried the Apple one that I had at work and I was surprised that it worked.

6 Posts

January 12th, 2011 04:00

I bought today a "Mini Display Port to VGA Adapter" from "Moshi" and I am very disappointed. I paid 25$ and only get a max 1024x768.

I use win7 4bit, XPS L401X with 2GB dedicated nvidia gfrx card. I use Samsung 2233GW (max 1650x1050). Any idea?

Jow

1 Message

February 2nd, 2011 19:00

I bought the "Mini Display Port to VGA Adapter" with my Dell XPS 15.  I, too, am very disappointed about the resolution being max of 1024x768.  I very much like using the laptop display in conjunction with an external monitor when I am at home.  This just doesn't work for me.

So, has anyone hooked up an external monitor to a Dell XPS 15 with a HDMI to DVI connector.  If so, what resolution can you get out of it?

7 Posts

February 15th, 2011 12:00

I bought a generic minidisplay port to vga adapter from amazon, it works in 1680x1050 just fine (my native external monitor resolution)

6 Posts

February 16th, 2011 04:00

lucky you

3 Posts

April 18th, 2011 17:00

Have you tried pressing F1 to switch between the different projector options (duplicate/extend etc). When we plug in the adapter (without the vga cord connected) it detects it straight away and adjusts its resolution accordingly (ie to become non widescreen with black bars down the side).

I can't remember what resolution it outputs with the adapter (and I haven't tried changing it) but it isn't widescreen.

April 18th, 2011 17:00

I have a new Dell XPS 15, and I cannot get it to send asignal (or detect) a projector plugged through the Apple "mini displayport to VGA adapter". I often travel, and have to connect my laptop to other projectors. As they are all still connected to VGA, I cannot go through the HDMI or any other port.

Do I have to make changes to the resolution etc? I have 2 x Dell projectors at work, and cannot even connect to them!

Any solutions?

April 18th, 2011 20:00

Yes, can change between the different display options. I assume duplicate is the one I need, but extend doesn't work either.

My computer does not seem to recognise the adapter when I plug it in - it does not change screen resolution. Did you have to manually search for new hardware or did it all work automatically?

April 19th, 2011 23:00

OK.

So I'm doing something right. The Mac mini display port to VGA adapter works perfectly between the Dell XPS 15 and a Viewsonic DLP projector, and between the Dell XPS 15 and an Infocus DLP projector, but not between the XPS 15 and a Dell 1510X or Dell 1409X projector. Why not with the Dell projectors?

1 Message

April 26th, 2011 06:00

I bought an HDMI to DVI-D adapter and am using an HDMI-HDMI cable from the laptop to talk to the DVI port in the Dell E1911c on my desk. No joy. It detected it once and then has failed ever since. Shame really as it technically should just work. The monitor works over VGA from another PC.

I'm beginning to think the HDMI output is a pointless port. I'll probably go the same way other posters are going and ignore it in favour of Mini-DP to VGA but even that seems to be less than foolproof.

2 Posts

April 27th, 2011 16:00

Did you need to install any driver for that !!??? and could you tell me if that gave a good resolution (1080p)   ??? 

Looking forward to hear from you...Thankss....

April 27th, 2011 19:00

I have great resolution between the Dell XPS 15 and other branded projectors using an Apple mac minidisplay port to VGA converter, but still have had no joy with Dell branded projectors.

I did not have to load any drivers or software. The computer and projector detected each other straight away, but the computer and Dell projectors (both a 1409X and a 1510X) do not work at all, and there is no driver or extra software available on Dell's website for these.

Come on Dell, what is the problem with the compatability between your products and what are you doing about it?

No Events found!