Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 8th, 2012 03:00

XPS 15 - how to display steroscopic 3D on a 120Hz external monitor?

In order to display 3D, the usual approach is to use the NVidia Vision Kit with a 120Hz refresh external monitor. The XPS 15 (mine is an L1501X with NVidia GT435M graphics) has two video ports - HDMI and Mini Displayport.

I have an Acer G0245HQ monitor I'd like to attach - this does 1080p. I can use HDMI at 60Hz but apparently HDMI implementation doesn't allow for 120Hz signal.

The advice I've had from NVidia is I need to use the Mini Displayport with a suitable cable, specifically a mini display port to DVI-DL (DL=dual link) to output 120Hz and therefore get  Steroscopic 3D. No joy yet in finding one, Dell sales support claimed no cables available from Dell and sent me to a partner  www.startech.com who were helpful but only as far as determining they do not have a 3D capable product for DVI.

Has anyone successfully got stereoscopic 3D working on an external monitor on a Dell XPS system?

I'd appreciate any guidance, even if it means an expensive cable or a new monitor.

Thanks.

2 Posts

May 9th, 2012 01:00

Would also like to know if dells mini displayport can support 120Hz.  I have a XPS 15 (L501X).

I would hate to see this 120hz display go to waste.

May 9th, 2012 02:00

In order to display 3D, the usual approach is to use the NVidia Vision Kit with a 120Hz refresh external monitor. The XPS 15 (mine is an L1501X with NVidia GT435M graphics) has two video ports - HDMI and Mini Displayport.

I have an Acer G0245HQ monitor I'd like to attach - this does 1080p. I can use HDMI at 60Hz but apparently HDMI implementation doesn't allow for 120Hz signal.

The advice I've had from NVidia is I need to use the Mini Displayport with a suitable cable, specifically a mini display port to DVI-DL (DL=dual link) to output 120Hz and therefore get  Steroscopic 3D. No joy yet in finding one, Dell sales support claimed no cables available from Dell and sent me to a partner  www.startech.com who were helpful but only as far as determining they do not have a 3D capable product for DVI.

Has anyone successfully got stereoscopic 3D working on an external monitor on a Dell XPS system?

I'd appreciate any guidance, even if it means an expensive cable or a new monitor.

Thanks.

Hi qbobq ,
To quickly let you know..
For a 3D to work normally, you should need a 120Hz refresh rate Monitor. A 3D capable LCD ( in notebook) and also obviously the 3D glasses for the effects with Nvidia 3D drivers and applications correctly installed.

Do you have the updated drivers installed properly.
Is your HDMI cable 1.4 version ?

To my knowledge, XPS L501x doesn't have 3D unlike XPS L502x and L702x series. Not sure though but I'll get back to you on this. Meanwhile would like you to answer my queries above.

11 Posts

June 25th, 2012 12:00

Hi I'm also interested in this problem.  Has any resolution been found?  I really want to use the 3D but if it isn't going to work I would like to know.

2 Posts

June 25th, 2012 15:00

I personally gave up. I brought a hdmi to DVI cable but didn't realise that hdmi can't do over 60HZ full stop. I wasn't going to waste money for a display port to DVI with no information about it. The XPS15 probably has display port 1.1 anyway and that doesn't support 120hz I believe.

No Events found!