Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 29th, 2011 11:00

XPS 15Z power options / screen saver not working?

So I just got an XPS 15Z, and I'm having a problem where the timers for either the screensaver or the power options don't seem to work.  That is, I have a power scheme set to dim the display, turn the display off, and go into sleep mode in a certain number of minutes.  I also have a screensaver that should turn on in a certain number of minutes.  They USUALLY don't turn when they should - they occasionally (rarely) do, which makes it all that much harder to troubleshoot.

In testing it, I set the dim display, turn off display, and go to sleep timers to 1 minute in the active power scheme, for both battery and plugged in modes.  Other than that, I had the power scheme in the default Balanced mode, the Windows theme to the default Windows 7 Aero theme, and the screensaver disabled.  The laptop wouldn't go to sleep, or even dim the screen, even after a 5 minute wait.

The same happens when I have the power scheme set to Balanced, completely in the default settings, and the screensaver set to blank screen after 1 minute - the screensaver rarely turns on.

The laptop is pretty much in factory original configuration.  I've run Windows and Dell driver updates.  I've also installed some other software, but it's all stuff that I have running on other Windows 7 machines without causing any problems with the power schemes.  I've checked against any tasks or services running that may be interfering with the timer, but nothing jumps out as obvious.

I don't have any external devices plugged into the laptop.  I've tried on both AC and battery power and have the same problem in either case.

To make sure that I don't have any inadvertent key presses or mouse movements happening, I tried turning the screensaver on manually (through the "preview" option).  Any input should turn the screensaver off, but it stays on, so apparently that's not the problem.

Of course, I've rebooted several times, and tried all the other usual stuff.

I called tech support.  The guy set everything to default, changed the timers to 1 minute, and the laptop went to sleep correctly when he tried it.  However, it wouldn't work again after the call - as I mentioned, the timers activate occasionally, but I can't figure out under what exact circumstances they do activate.

Anyone have any similar problems?  Trying to figure out if it's a Dell driver issue or some compatibility problems with the software I did install.  I didn't install anything too fancy, but I don't want to bother with uninstalling stuff trying to find the conflict unless I have to.

11 Posts

May 30th, 2011 20:00

I am having the same issue, except I haven't seen a timer activate so far. I hope there is a resolution soon. I hardly have anything installed, and have done all windows and dell updates as well.

3 Posts

May 30th, 2011 21:00

It sounds like a software bug.

Perhaps the OS isn't properly communicating with the hardware.

Have you tried doing all of the Win7 updates + bios update, if available?

ps- I have the XPS l502x...I bought it before the 15z came out. I noticed they don't make the 15z with blu ray, but I was wondering (if you have woned either the l501x or l502x) is the 15z worth the upgrade cost? I mean, the l502x isn't by any means obsolete but the 15z looks really cool despite the lack of blu ray. What's your personal thought on the 15z? Do you like it? How's the build? The l502x feels really hollow and cheap when I compare it to my e5410. Is it the same for the 15z? Sorry if you don't really have answers to my questions! lol Don't forget to try what i told you above! My e5410 had issues with the dvd player when waking it up from sleep and the bios fixed it.

5 Posts

May 31st, 2011 09:00

Windows 7 is fully updated, except for IE9.  I don't believe there are any BIOS updates yet, given that the laptop just launched last week.

From what I've read online, the problem is either with power configuration or with the drivers.  I tried all the powercfg utilities to isolate any errors there, but didn't find anything conclusive.  All my drivers are updated, so if there is a problem there I'll just need to wait for them to get updated.

I'd love to speak with a Dell level 3 support tech, or a problem manager, about this, but given that it's a very low severity issue I doubt I'd ever get in touch with one.

As far as the laptop itself, I like it.  It's very well equipped for the price, and thin, if a bit heavy.  No Blu-ray doesn't bother me - I don't think I've watched a movie off a disc in months, and certainly not on a laptop in years.

11 Posts

May 31st, 2011 09:00

Everything is updated that is possible to update. I also ran the command powercfg -ENERGY to see if there were any errors, and there are no errors or issues. At this point, not sure, may try and reinstall every drive/bios even if the same versions now installed  from dell to see if something is holding it up.

I have an E6410 - I prefer the 15z, but it still has a slightly cheap feel to it. But I like the screen a lot and love the bigger trackpad. Basically still loading it up, but it is cruising very fast and is cooler then my e6410. 

11 Posts

May 31st, 2011 11:00

I hope they do figure it out, it is a bit of a pain, especially when I rely on the power save when on battery if I forget to shut the lid.

Basically the 15z reminds me of my mac book pro - I just wish it had a better keyboard and the nice glass touchpad the mac book has :)

11 Posts

May 31st, 2011 15:00

Ok I am still testing, but I reinstalled the two intel chipset drivers and rebooted and it seems to be working. Well at least twice so far on battery the screen has dimmed and then gone black (1 min then 2 min). 

I did Intel Driver - Management  Engine Interface and Intel Driver Huron River

Forgot which order - rebooted and it worked for first time for me

11 Posts

May 31st, 2011 17:00

well the answer is, it only worked twice and now doesn't work again. I suspect when I reboot it will work once or twice then stop again.

11 Posts

June 2nd, 2011 17:00

Here is an interesting post about this issue - http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19381900/19882669.aspx#19882669

He seems to have tracked it to the trackpad and two finger gestures.

29 Posts

June 4th, 2011 15:00

Had the same problem...I unchecked Dell intelligent display option in the power settings and now the screen is dimming and turning off at the right times

5 Posts

June 4th, 2011 17:00

I unchecked "Enable Dell Intelligent Display in Battery Mode" from Battery Meter, but it doesn't seem to have fixed it.  I'm running plugged in, so it might not have any affect.  Is there any other place where I can access Dell Intelligent Display settings?

I also tried disabling all the extra touchpad features as was mentioned in the other forum, but it didn't seem to help, either.  I suppose I could uninstall the Cypress drivers, but that seems like overkill.

29 Posts

June 4th, 2011 18:00

There is definitely something screwy with the power settings....when I try to hibernate it resumes immediately! There is a new BIOS (A03) in the driver download section which I applied but it looks there are still power issues!

11 Posts

June 4th, 2011 19:00

So far unchecking Enable Dell Intelligent Display has worked for me plugged and unplugged. Waiting to see how consistent - make sure you reboot after you change that. I changed it and did not reboot and saw it still active until I rebooted. 

1 Message

June 6th, 2011 23:00

I'm having a similar problem as well. No matter what I've tried to enable or disable, none of the Power Options have ever worked.

11 Posts

June 7th, 2011 05:00

Changing everything here has only lasted for a few minutes after reboot. I have run everything suggested I can see on the web powercfg options, I have closed every process one by one, compared processes right after boot when it works and when it stops - none of it helps. I installed the new bios, reinstalled all drivers...I am at a bit loss trying to figure this out...

29 Posts

June 7th, 2011 08:00

I also have tried everything imaginable but the power options only will work for a short time after a reboot. Since this affects every 15z that Dell has sent out it would be nice if Dell could look into the matter and come up with a fix before our 1080p displays burn out because they won't turn off!

No Events found!