Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 2nd, 2015 07:00

XPS 15z, Win10, CPU Fan always on high

Just 'upgraded' my XPS 15z from Win7 to Win10.  Now the CPU fan runs at high speed constantly.  I ran a CPU temperature utility and it's running 70 to 80 C, which, my understanding, is not too hot.  Before Win10, the CPU fan only ran on high very occasionally.  Is this really too hot (70 to 80C)?  If not, how can I reset the CPU fan to a reasonable speed (noise)?

2 Posts

October 2nd, 2015 19:00

Thanks,  I saw that this laptop "has not been tested for Win10".  I don't usually upgrade OS on my computers, opting instead to buy a new computer when this one gets old enough to need a new OS.

But, I didn't follow my past practice, and thought I'd take a chance, given that the laptop met all the technical requirements for Win10.

I did find, however, that what was causing the fan to run full speed is "DLautoR.exe".  Saw in Task Manager that it was consuming 98% of CPU time for what was running at the time.  When I stopped DLautoR.exe, the fan immediately slowed down.  Rebooting made DLautoR.exe to run again, so I moved it from C:\ (root directory) to as "Suspect" folder (that I created to hold suspicious files).  Rebooting again, it didn't load and the computer runs fine without it - AND the fan runs at it's normal speed.

I Goggled DLautoR.exe and got conflicting reports.  Some said it was a virus, some said it was not a virus, but a 3rd party app that Windows uses.  But none said what it did.

The computer seems to be working fine.  Sure would like to know more about DLautoR.exe.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

October 2nd, 2015 08:00

Hi kinggn,

Dell XPS 15Z L511Z has not been tested for Windows 10 operating system. I would suggest you to update the BIOS on the computer for issue resolution. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, then download the BIOS required onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

You will need to download the Windows 7 drivers and install it on compatibility mode.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

October 4th, 2015 14:00

Hi,

Good work on troubleshooting. I would suggest you to update your antivirus on the system and run the scan to determine if the computer is infected. I see that there are conflicting reports on web in regards with dlautor.exe. It also may be due to operating system incompatibility which might be causing this issue.

No Events found!