Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

June 26th, 2011 02:00

XPS 15z construction problems....

hi

i own a dell xps 15z for 2 weeks now, and i am quite happy wth it except for two concerns about solidity...

first, the little chrome metal thingy going all around the pc is tingly at some points...   doesnt seem like it will last very long. 

and second: the plastic around the screen isn't glued well at some points:  i can see the glue and the plastic getting separated from the screen...

anyone have the same issue? does this come into warranty?

32 Posts

June 26th, 2011 02:00

ps here is the photo for the little metal thingy going round the pc, and being not fixed very well

8 Posts

June 27th, 2011 19:00

Hello,

I have the same issues + other issues.. I called them today and I am getting a replacement because my laptop is over heating like crazy.. I hope the coming laptop will not have the same issues because I spent so much money on it...did u try to call them?

32 Posts

June 28th, 2011 00:00

what do you mean  by overheating? mine gets hot sometimes but never that much... how can i know it' s too much? also, did your new xps get the unglued screen too?

8 Posts

June 28th, 2011 04:00

Mine goes up to 85 - 90 c.. I used a free program called speedfan ... yea the screen got unglued from the same spot and the chrome border is sticking out too.. exactly the same as you have in the pictures

32 Posts

June 28th, 2011 05:00

so even the new one gets the same construction issues? so what's the point in changing it? (i mean, considering mine doesn't overheat...)

8 Posts

June 28th, 2011 07:00

Oh no.. I still didn't get the new one.. I am waiting them to send the replacement and then i will see if they fixed the issue.. if not then i will return everything back ..

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 28th, 2011 15:00

I am sorry to read that you two have run across this with new systems. If you would like for me to take a look at this shoot me a private message with the service tag of the system, and we can go from there.  I know this must be frustrating and if I can help I will be happy to do so.

TB

1 Message

July 7th, 2011 15:00

I have the same problem (I have had it for less than a month). It gets so hot that if you keep your fingers on the keys you might burn them.  The laptop is completely unusable.

Check out the screenshot for the temps:

docs.google.com/.../edit

I called tech support and let me tell you it was a nightmare. Here is the abridged version.

(1) Support: We will have a tech come out

(2) ME: no I think I have a lemon (already had the bottom case replaced) I want either (a) a replacement or (b) credit towards another model

(3) Support: Ok we will send you a new one please hold while I get that all set up (30 min hold)

(4) Support: Ok we are going to send you a shipping voucher, you send it to us, we will repair it and send it back

(5) ME: UMM you said I was getting  a new one. I want a replacement or credit

(6) Support: Oh yes sir we will fix it for you very good and send it back

(7) Me: NO you said you were sending me a new one and that is what I want

(8) Support: ok sir I will have to call you back

Still waiting for call back Ticket # <ADMIN NOTE: Ticket No. removed per privacy policy>

I have owned Dells for years and can't believe the support guy tried to pull a fast one on me.

5 Posts

July 18th, 2011 15:00

I have the screen unsticking, the chrome trim ring issue, andt he screen now has a red line of dead pixels down the right side of the screen about two inches in. top to bottom about a 1/16" wide. Also have the skipping cursor while typing thing that I never had ao any other Dell computer/laptop that I have owned. This isn't good. Dell should have done some serious testing before putting this model out. I have an old XPS M140 that still works great with none of these quality issues. It is built like a tank. This thing is built like they just didn't give a crap.

32 Posts

July 19th, 2011 09:00

more and more people seem to have the same problems...

did dell never test the laptops before signing up with cypress as a supplier?

32 Posts

July 19th, 2011 09:00

ps, sorry, wrong topic.

4 Posts

July 20th, 2011 12:00

the trim around my screen is coming apart in the left hand corner, looks just like your picture. The chrome trim around the edge is also loose. I've had this for about three weeks now.

7 Posts

July 22nd, 2011 22:00

Hi.  I'm a first time Dell buyer.  Got my XPS 15z just over 5 weeks ago.  Love it...but... I'm quickly realizing within 10 mins of internet searching that there are some pretty common and fundamental issues with the machine, issues that I have experienced/am experiencing also.  (1) outer edge chrome trim coming undone (who the h...designed that?  I'm no design expert, but a glued on removable piece on the outer edge of a mobile device?!?!  Even I know not to build that!)  Not only is it falling off after 5 weeks (!) - and I take good care of my laptop and handle it gently - but the chrome is rubbing off and one can see the cheap plastic (?) it is made of underneath the painted on chrome!!!!  (2) skipping mouse pad....and here I thought it was my thumbs and an overly sensitive mouse pad...but no, many many owners have this same issue.  I fear what some other have had (screen issues, overheating issues... which I have yet to experience and hope not too.   I'm not a gamer...just a regular business guy with basic computer needs.  So it's not like I'm running this machine ragged.

No computer after 5 weeks should be displaying "wear and tear" like mine does when it has been babied...it's as if the rims on my new car started to corrode and chip away after 4-5 weeks of use....it's a design flaw.

So given I am new to Dell, pls give me the first 2-3 steps I need to take to solve these issues listed above. What should I expect from Dell after purchase service?

Thank you

1 Message

July 23rd, 2011 08:00

Hello,

I have had my Dell XPS 15z for about 6 weeks and have some of the same problems you have had.

(1) Chrome plating coming off

(2) The bezel around the bottom edge is loose in places

I am careful and delicate with my laptops but it doesn't seem to matter, Others are having the same problem.

I called tech support, he said because it was cosmetic issue they wanted me to mail the PC to a repair center with a 5 to 10 day turnaround time frame.

After Speaking with a Manager they said they would send a technician for an in home repair. This was acceptable to me, however I never received a call to schedule the repair. You can check the status of you service repair number online

Mine shows CANCELLED

Now I am trying once again to get tech support to send someone to fix it.

I have made 3 calls spoke with 3 different people and now cancelled

This is very frustrating.

Good luck with your issues!  

7 Posts

July 23rd, 2011 09:00

Thx for the quick reply.  I'm really hesitant to take this up with Dell.  It's my first Dell and from what I am reading throughout this forum (not just XPZ 15z related), dealing with Dell Support seems 100x more frustrating than this cosmetic issue.  I guess that's their strategy.  Heaven forbid they make buying the darn thing annoying...but support, totally different beast.  Also, I'd be wary of tech support opening up the computer just to replace a plastic chrome trim.  The trim is delicate as it is...and taking anything else apart on the machine to get to it is like the Sugar Mama getting botox on her forehead but the plastic surgeon is going to get at is via her rear end.  BAd analogy, but you get my drift: not sure it's worth the pain.  I'm even more wary of Dell offering a new computer...'cause I'm reading they likely ain't new computers.  Given the delicate nature of this machine, I'd hate to get one that was refurbished from Louis the Juggler of laptop computers and chainsaws.  

As for solving my issue ith the chrome, I'm tempted to super glue it myself.  Given it's really only plastic, one has to use a plastic safe glue that wont eat at the trim itself or the metal it's supposed to adhere to.  Half as bad would be the glue eats the cheap chrome finish but sticks well.  Gonna have to find a very fine applicator if I go this route.  

Ahhhhhh...I quit a job where all my laptops where supplied: IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads.  It's likely the only thing I regret about quitting.  Those things were beasts...tough as nails...(yes heavy and not so esthetic...) but you could tapdance on them and they would not break.  I dropped many of them from waist high and NEVER had one issue (breakage or performance)

LEsson I've learned: be warry of 1st generation anything...xps 15z...xbox 360...Pinto...  ;-)

Best of luck with your dealings with Dell.  Be patient Grasshopper!

No Events found!